What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A flytrap that doesn't eat?

I bought a VLT about 3 weeks ago. For two weeks I left it outside during the day to get sunlight and catch insects and brought it inside at night to avoid any extreme weather/storms.

It didn't catch or eat anything for two weeks. So I decided to cut a small piece of earthworm to give it inside two traps. The traps closed, but the following day both traps turned black. I guess worms are not a very good idea. :0o:

Since then I've been keeping it outside 24 hours a day and it is still not catching anything even though there are flies, wasps, bees, gnats, and ants in the area (among other things). I even see insects buzzing around it from time to time, but nothing.

Yesterday I saw a large black ant. I caught it and placed it in one of the traps. The trap only partially closed. This morning the trap was wide open again and the dead ant was still sitting the trap.

The plant looks healthy except for the two black traps (which I trimmed off yesterday). I'm just not sure what to do about a plant that won't catch insects or even close when given one.

Any suggestions?

slow closing traps could either be a sign of cold temperatures or inadequate lighting...

also, flytraps need continuous stimulus to completely close and eat prey---this prevents it from trying to digest a water droplet, a stone, or catching an animal too small that isnt worth digesting since its energy output is less than its input.

slow closing traps could either be a sign of cold temperatures or inadequate lighting...

also, flytraps need continuous stimulus to completely close and eat prey---this prevents it from trying to digest a water droplet, a stone, or catching an animal too small that isnt worth digesting since its energy output is less than its input.

It's getting a ton of direct sunlight for the last 3 weeks (at least 6 hours daily).

I understand the stimulation part, but if it doesn't catch anything I'm not what to do other than help (which didn't work).

Carnivorous plants aren't all that efficient in trapping insects. Read some of the studies on prey capture rates in the Carnivorous Plant Newsletter and other journals.

If the ant was dead when you put it in the trap the trap won't close completely and start digestion unless you supply further stimulation. Either by touching the trigger hairs several more times with a toothpick etc. or gently squeezing or tapping the trap.

I don't know where you live but unless there is chance of frost, tornadoes, hurricane force wind and rain or hail I don't see why you couldn't leave them outdoors 24 hours.

Trap response is a function of temperature, age and health of the traps.

A bee was messing around with this pot, yesterday. It set off 4 traps without being caught:

004.jpg

Finally, it got caught:

003.jpg

I think it may have finally caught something very small. One of the traps was closed this morning. I can't see anything inside. So hopefully it is more than a trap being tripped without it actually catching anything. Other than not eating, it looks healthy and is growing.

slow closing traps could either be a sign of cold temperatures or inadequate lighting....

or old traps..

as individual traps get older, they lose their ability to close..eventually they just sit there, but they are still important (as long as they are still green) because they will still photosynthesize and provide enegry for the plant..

considering this is a newly purchased plant, I would guess these are just old traps..or "weak" traps that grew under poor conditions at the store..once the plant has been out in the sun for a month or so, you should start getting new traps that will work normally..just be patient! ;) the plant is probably fine..

Scot

iv had that problem before but a few weeks - monthes later its such a fine plant

I have 3 of them now and not a single one is catching anything for weeks. I'm getting close to feeling compelled to feed them something I caught. There are plenty of insects in the garden, but no action near the VFTs and no closed traps.

I saw one of those little insects that curl themselves into a ball when touched. I caught it and placed it inside one of the traps of one of my plants. It closed shut immediately and looked fine this morning. So at least I found something I can put on the menu when available.

There are lot of gnats buzzing around them, but they are so small, I wonder how often they trigger a trap and what benefit the plant would get.

There are lot of gnats buzzing around them, but they are so small, I wonder how often they trigger a trap and what benefit the plant would get.

VFT's are designed to *not* eat very small insects..
the trap fully closing actually occurs in 2 parts:

1. an insect (doesnt matter what size) brushes against the trigger hairs, triggering the trap.

that alone isnt enough to "finish" the closing process and begin digestion..
Notice at this first stage, there are still gaps in the trap..its not yet fully closed, its not "sealed tight"..the "teeth" are only intertwined loosely..

2. if the bug is large enough to *not* escape, further movement by the bug stimulates the trigger hairs further, which "tells" the trap it has a good live bug, and "stage 2" can commence..the teeth will bend outwards slightly, the two halves seal their edges together, the trap fills with fluid, the bug drowns in the fluid, and digestion begins.

If the bug is really small, like a gnat, it can easily escape out of the loose "cage" after stage one..this is deliberate, because it isnt worth the plants effort to digest something so small..

also inanimate objects: rain, dirt, etc, that might accidently trigger a trap to close, wont continue to move, and so the trap will quickly re-open and wont waste any effort trying to digest a non-bug..

Whether you believe evolution, "nature" or God created the VFT, its really an amazing system..

Scot

Back