What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Windowsill Success

Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my venus fly trap 'standard form' that seems to be doing pretty well on my windowsill :D

photostream

photostream

photostream

Not much... but im fairly proud ^^

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

For some reason the pictures are invisible...

Just thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my venus fly trap 'standard form' that seems to be doing pretty well on my windowsill :D

photostream

photostream

photostream

Not much... but im fairly proud ^^

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

For some reason the pictures are invisible...

Cuz the link has to end in ".jpg" for it to show up like this:

5823913465_3d3d677395_z.jpg

5823911625_df71be19c3_z.jpg

5823909863_1bd2acf754_z.jpg

And nice big flytrap! :)

Ohhh I thought Flickr hated me! :L thanks!

Very nice indeed. I had one on a south-facing window for quite a while; though now, it has gone out for a tan and occasionally returns to catch a few flies and whatnot . . .

Dionaea muscipula "typical"
DM.jpg

DM-1.jpg

It really belongs outside. It isn't getting nearly enough solar energy, for the growing season, and a window sill won't allow it to have a true dormancy.

Outsides not really an option as im fairly certain english weather will kill it

Thanks for that thez, I thought the cold would be a problem but apparently not, if my flytrap starts looking unhappy then I can always move it to a greenhouse where it will get more sun but for now im pretty fond of it in my room, foolish as it may be :blush:

They can do OK in a windowsill. They'll be much healthier outside in full sun or in a greenhouse, but they can certainly get by in a windowsill.

England actually has better growing conditions than most places in the US. I've seen some impressive flavas at Chelsea, and they share part of their range with VFTs.

Somehow your windowsill traps are redder than my outdoor grown ones....

Somehow your windowsill traps are redder than my outdoor grown ones....

I find that when I movie my flytraps from indoors to outdoors, the traps get "burnt" rather than colouring up... it's strange.

Nice flytrap btw, I've never seen one grown as well as that on a windowsill.

Yep, VFTs can be grown in the UK pretty well. It only becomes touch and go when we have a winter like the previous one though. In Cambridge you should have no problem though! Things just take a long time to wake up due to our sloooooowwww transition from Winter to Summer- unless you have a greenhouse, that is. Just give it plenty of sun and put it outside in late summer/early autumn to let it go dormant for the whole winter. The just bring it inside in spring, or leave it outside the whole year.

They can do OK in a windowsill. They'll be much healthier outside in full sun or in a greenhouse, but they can certainly get by in a windowsill.

But how does he do a proper dormancy, other than tossing them in the fridge?

Thanks ^^ it gets about 10 hours of direct sunlight on a nice day but I'll take your advice and put it in the greenhouse when summer comes. I've also got a nice big belljar that im planning on putting some drosera capensis in so it could live in there although with the dog running around that may be a bit risky!

Back