What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting VFTs

I now have 3 small VFTs in 3" pots. I would like to combine them into a larger container so they have space to grow and are more attractive to look at. I am not sure what they are planted in now, but I have plenty of Peat Moss and Perlite to use for the new home.

The problem I have is that I don't know how to go about transplanting them.

Should I simply turn the current pot upside down, remove them from their small pot, and place them in a the larger container, as is, surrounded by the new Peat Moss and Perlite or should I shake away the current soil to get down the root area and then replant them in the new media.

What is the optimum long term depth I should make the new planting media and how much space should I leave between plants?

Anything else I am missing?

I would remove all of the compost from the plants, since the peat-based mixes become compacted and (potentially) mineral-laden over time. I use a 1:1 or 2:1 mix of peat to quartz sand. They should be planted so that the white of the rhizome is covered and only the crown of the plant is visible. Dionaea is amazingly tough and will resume growing after only a few days . . .

Back