What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observation: Red VFT's are small and don't flower

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
Title says it all. Why?

007-2.jpg

010-2.jpg

only the shadows know.... OOOo! ooOOooo! oooooOOH! (scary ghost noise)

Im pretty sure the reds are smaller ( i think ts that they grow slower but can get as large) because their color makes their photosynthesizing less efficient. That is what I've read before. Also, They can flower, but I would assume that the same reason for their growth slowness is the reason they dont often flower as much as the green cultivars. I know red piranahas that have flowered so red ones can definately flower. Those are as red as it gets lol/

Try to feed them alot.

The red generally acts as a sort of sunscreen for the plants, when it gets lots of light... so if the plant is forced to have that color, the solution is probably more light.

I like your pine needles :)

My 'Royal Red' and 'Pink Venus' did fine all of last year and I think they'll do fine this year too.. the color of yours looks like the color of mine, so the only thing you're not doing that I am is going to rip up some cricket parts to feed them with (I feed *every* trap once a month).

My 'Royal Red' and 'Pink Venus' did fine all of last year and I think they'll do fine this year too.. the color of yours looks like the color of mine, so the only thing you're not doing that I am is going to rip up some cricket parts to feed them with (I feed *every* trap once a month).

:puke: I could never do that!

My 'Akai ryu' flowers every year it usually is a monster compared to my others. This year it seems to be struggling though. It flowered earlier but aborted. I've found 'Akai Ryu' to be very vigorous.

Here's a close-up of a double flower stalk from 2009
P5300010.jpg

Flower stalk from 2010
P5170151.jpg

Here's one grown by another LACPS member from last year. There's a quarter at the bottom of the picture to give an idea of scale. Who sez you can't grow 'em in terrariums?
P6190001.jpg

Last edited:
"Here's one grown by another LACPS member from last year. There's a quarter at the bottom of the picture to give an idea of scale. Who sez you can't grow 'em in terrariums?"

I think peoplecan grow them in terrariums, i just think that most of the people that tries to use a terrarium are normally newbies with the lack of knowlegde about VFT's that think they would live good in a terrarium. But once you know how exactly the plant works and watering, soil..etc then you might be able to grow them in terrariums. And if it is someone experience then he/she knows how to handle watering and all that.

By the way nice pics from the first post, and your pics! :)

Last edited:
My issue is... my flytraps get easily 8 hours of direct sun a day and every cultivar I have is bright green . I cannot... for the life of me... get them to color up (was this way last year as well). Yet my flyraps inside under T5s are blood red.

Remind me not to tick you off . . .

Red cultivars will flower, but their seed yield usually isn't worth it. Our Akai Ryus produced a staggering 3 seeds this year....

My issue is... my flytraps get easily 8 hours of direct sun a day and every cultivar I have is bright green . I cannot... for the life of me... get them to color up (was this way last year as well). Yet my flyraps inside under T5s are blood red.

I also have never gotten good color outside, but even under t8's get deep reds. /shrug

Could it also be a function of age? My red flytraps flower every Spring and achieve a very dark color while grown outside; and often attempt a second round of blooming by Fall -- but they are also several years old . . .

My D. 'Akai Ryu' gets nice and dark with only 4-6 hours of direct sun. Try a little dappled shade. Some plants give their best coloration with some shade, others don't.

Question for you!

How do you rip em up? I was thinking of doing this so I could use 1 cricket per however many traps. So I was just wondering. I'm imagining you chopping them up with a knife all chef'd up and serving them to your VFT. :lol:

Back