What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kids book featuring a vft with interesting text.

I found a kids project book the size of a cd disk at a rummage sale.
The last project in the book is growing carnivorous plants.

Here is what the book says word for word.

Insect-eating plants are fascinating to watch--- and you won't need a flyswatter in the house!
Ask for these plants are a locak garden center.
Some which are easy to keep are the Venus Fly Trap, the Yellow Trumpet Plant, Huntman's Cap, Sundew and Pitcher Plants.
If you buy your plant as a bulb, put it in a pot in rich, peaty soil. Stand it in a saucer of water to keep it moist all the time. Cover the pot with a glass jar or a plastic bag held in place by a rubber band. Remove the cover as soon as leaves have formed. Keep the plant in a warm, sunny spot.

Okay now this is where it get's interesting and the reason why I made this post.

Feed your insect eater with flies, wasps and other insects or with pieces of meat, cheese and egg white.

Insect-eating plants attract insect to them so your plant should be able to catch some of its meals without your help!

EGGWHITE!
I've always heard the bad advice of feeding your vft hamburger.
But EGGWHITES?!!!

EGGWHITES
REALLY?!!!!!!

Rich, peaty soil? How can peat be "rich" without fertilizer?
That's awful! What's the publication date, though?

"Rich" is probably a bad adjective here. But peat is loamy and 'rich' - organically speaking. At least the author does not suggest African Violet soil.

Egg white is almost all protein with little fat and while I don't advocate feeding your plant any animal products, I can see it being better than hamburger.

(cheese?) uhh i don't think a venus flytrap would enjoy (cheese).i don't even think that it can digest (cheese).and aren't wasps on the "bugs that make your plant black" list. egg whites, cheese ,and wasps are people food.

Back