What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Overheated?

After putting my flytrap in my greenhouse to get more sun I saw today that a lot of the traps had partially closed and bent. It was happy with the 12ish hours of sunlight per day but over the last two days it reached about 100F inside the greenhouse! I've now put it back on my windowsill until late summer when it gets cooler and needs to go into dormancy. Here's a couple of pictures, can anyone tell me if it looks like its caused by overheating? Thanks for any help!

IMG_2575.jpg

Trap on the right

IMG_2574.jpg

Traps on the left

IMG_2571.jpg

Middle trap

Also, some of the new traps seem to have way larger leaves and smaller traps than when it was on my windowsill, I thought this only happens in low light conditions?

IMG_2573.jpg

Trap forming on the right

Thanks again for any help

Can you put it outside of the greenhouse to get more sun?

Scot

Hmm I'm not sure, I've got a dog running around so that could be pretty hazardous, I've got a bell jar I could put over it but that doesn't really solve the heat problem ???

Some flytraps have seasonal forms to their leaves. Traps grower larger or smaller. The petioles grow long and thin or short and broad. How extreme the differences are pretty much depend on the individual plant/clone/

See Barry Rice's FAQ
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq2200.html

As NaN has already mentioned, it may simply be a seasonal change; and my plants in direct sunlight -- in their black trays -- frequently experience high temperatures, even in San Francisco. If it has been kept inside, there will be a period of adjustment and would explain any potential stress to the leaves. Just ensure that there's sufficient water and I have never heard of too much sun with Dionaea . . .

Ooh ok thanks for the help, I'll probably put my flytrap back in the greenhouse sometime soon, my Drosera however got roooasted and will live on a sunny windowsill from now on ^^

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:09 PM ----------

One thing I don't understand is how could simple adjustment from windowsill to greenhouse have such a dramatic affect on the traps that they bend inwards like in the third picture?

Back