What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Very Bad Day for Damselflies . . .

Even though Dionaea cultivars number in the dozens, I am far more interested in those which can actually perform; and that seems to be in the minority with many of them. Not so with the B52. By August, they're taking down sizable wasps . . .

Dionaea muscipula cv. B52

[
B52-16.jpg

B52B-2.jpg

B52C-1.jpg

Last edited:
nom nom nom..

Dang David, your's is nice and short. How come mine is so tall and standing straight up? Lack of light over here?

damselflies in distress. how old is your b52?

nom nom nom..

Dang David, your's is nice and short. How come mine is so tall and standing straight up? Lack of light over here?

Lighting may be an issue but the plants vary a bit. Those in slightly shadier conditions are somewhat lankier . . .

damselflies in distress. how old is your b52?

Most of the B52s are around five or six years old and reach their largest trap size by late September or October in California . . .

ahh.. Mine are about a foot and a half from my 8 T5HOs. Nice a reddish.. but tall and lanky.

ahh.. Mine are about a foot and a half from my 8 T5HOs. Nice a reddish.. but tall and lanky.

Those who grow them locally generally keep them far closer to the lighting arrays. Also, that whole notion of clonal integrity comes into play with most of the TC B52s. My most consistent plants have been divisions from Von Schmeling's plants that I have had for years . . .

That is impressive. Mine regularly make short work of yellow jackets and wasps.

bigbella, how big are those traps?

Holy.. Those are gigantic! :ohno:

I'm with ya on the clonal ntegrity thing...my B52 is a complete dud...looks more like a robust typical than B52.

Great photos... That's a huge VFT. My B-52 has gotten a few hornets so far.. seems pretty good about catching prey.

Back