What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Will this do any harm my VFT seed?

About 4 weeks ago I planted my fresh VFT seed which two of them have started to sprout leaves but I've noticed this little insect which looks a bit like woodlice,what is it and will it harm my seedlings?
Should I murder it????
2-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

1-1.jpg

It looks like an isopod of some sort. The UC Davis Pest Management website says:
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/GARDEN/FRUIT/PESTS/sowbugs.html
Sowbugs and pillbugs feed primarily on decaying plant material and are very important in the process of decomposing organic matter in the garden. However, they occasionally feed on seedlings, new roots, lower leaves, and fruits or vegetables lying directly on the soil or near a damp soil surface.

No chemicals are recommended for treatment so I would either remove the critters manually or transplant the seedlings. Just be careful not to damage the radical/root. Pillbugs are nocturnal so they are more active at night. I'm not sure if they glow under a black light which might make hunting them down easier.

Thanks for the info.I've managed to catch it,murder it and feed it to my flytraps.
Can't find anymore but will keep checking.
Thanks again

Back