What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rain Damage?

Remag

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my o
OK, so I live in VA, so I have been keeping my plants outside. I had 2 VFT's, a Purple Pitcher, and a N. Miranda (under a fern so it was shaded during the hottest times of the day.

Anyway, while I wasn't at home we had a large storm. When I inspected my plants (which were doing great up to this point) the VFT were black and wilted and the PP's were brown (the Nep seemed fine but is showing some bad signs and will likely be moved inside soon.

Also the water was a dark brown color. It get' some algae growing in it at times, but is usually fairly clear.

I know people leave them outside year round (besides the Nep) and that the VFT's are native to the Carolina's so VA's climate should be fine for it. Its been a while and I haven't seen any more growth, I was wondering if they are dead of if the rain just bruised them and they will continue to grow.

Thanks for your help.

Mine were fine in the rain storms. Sure, the bog garden is overflowing, but there's no damage to the plants. How long were you away?

I was gone for a few days, they had water when I left and then it rained really hard. Up to this point they were doing fine with the water I have them and the rain.

Acid rain?

We just had a hail storm and my d. intermedia got nailed right in the middle and almost all the new leaves are ruined :(

We just had a hail storm and my d. intermedia got nailed right in the middle and almost all the new leaves are ruined :(

If you still have the leaves use them for leaf cuttings, you'll get several plants.

I have no clue why your plants died back. Rain helps them, cleans out the stomata, flushes out impurities, and soaks the roots.

Unless, the plant could have had instant root rot over the course of two days from overflooding. That's my best guess.

Back