What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spider mites. Help!

After moving my VFT from my windowsill to a greenhouse I noticed it had stopped growing, I thought it was just adjusting but then it started growing again but the developing traps are completely screwed.. Whilst taking some pictures I saw little spider mites all over it, can anyone tell me how to get rid of these ******** without harming my dionaea? Here's some pictures of the damage they're causing... Thanks for any help!

IMG_2812.jpg

IMG_2811.jpg

I'd go with something like Ortho Rose Pride or a similar product; and it has never harmed any of the flytraps with its use. Use it in the morning or at dusk, so as not to burn leaves . . .

Thanks for the reply, I'll look into it :)

Are the mites in the peat or actually crawling all over the leaves?

Avoid Imidicloprid based systemic insecticides. It can act as a hormone mimic with some species of mites and stimulate egg production. Organophosphates I believe are banned in the UK so you probably won't find an Acephate based insecticide. Pyrethrins and pyrethroids are recommended for spider mites. Also look for a miticide vs an insecticide.

Thanks for the info! I've got a pyrethrin based insecticide so i'll use that :)

Permethrin is the one of choice because it has a high persistence factor but if you repeat sprayings at the recommended intervals other pyrethins should do.

Make sure to spray the undersides of the leaves too.

sulfur also works on mites. not sure how it affect CPs

Bayer Natria with sulfur and pyrethrins works wonders... Make sure not to grab the soap based one...

So what did you end up using and was the problems solved?

I just noticed deformed leaves on my nepenthes and after starring at a slightly redish small dot on it noticed that it moves... got mites. For now sprayed the plant and all neighboring plants with Neem Oil.
Went through the entire collection, it seems it was localized to the nep. only (it stood on the windowsill for a while).

I'd like to add a word (or words) of caution about Sulfur based insecticides/fungicides.

I ended up getting one of the recommended products Bayer Natria and used it on little N. ventrata. First and most obvious ofcourse: avoid using any chemical based treatments at home. With Natria, the smell of sulfur will follow you for a while as well.
Second: When using Natria you can't avoid getting some of the formulation into the soil. There is a lot of sulfur in the product and after about 4 days the pot started to smell strongly of Hydrogen Sulfide. Bacteria busy at work :) It's gotten so bad that I was forced to dump the soil and gave the plant a bath.

Additionally I could see a thin film of sulfur on the leaves once the spray dried. 10 days later (now) leaves started turn yellow.

So there you go :) I think I'll just get pyrethrins only miticide in the future (since I've used it with success before).

I'm pretty sure I've managed to get rid of all of them using some standard insecticide (sulfur free). New traps have been grown which are pretty small but all look healthy :) just in time for dormancy! ^^ thanks for the advice and concern!

Back