What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question about using Parrafin Heater with VFT ?

Hi all

I lost a couple of my traps last year and I have managed to secure myself a green house.

Only thing is I am a little concerned about the cold weather so I was going to use a anti frost parrafin heater, my only conern is the fumes... since these plants do not like tap water I wondered what there like with air quality that's all.

Any advise welcome

Many thanks Noddy

Won't an antifrost heater stop your plants from going into dormancy?

Hi Green1

Yep that is a point however I don't think the being frozen like a brick is not good since they can't drink and will die anyway. Though is to keep them just above 0 to 5 then I think all should be well.

Having never used a anti frost heater I am unsure how hot the temp will be, though I could open the window a tad..

Your thought's please.

Noddy

While not familiar with that type of heater, I doubt the plants would be any more disturbed than normal plants. And if you just keep the temps so that it isn't terribly cold, they will go thru dormancy just fine. Having them at or above freezing (but below 50F degrees) will be all they need.
I have a greenhouse myself, and areas get to freezing while other areas stay relatively warm, and the plants do great. If you don't have any tropicals, even just protecting them in the greenhouse may be enough without any heat, but it depends on how cold it gets by you. Many people put their plants in an unheated garage, which is enough. If you indeed have severe winters, you just want to protect them from going into a deep freeze.

Good luck! The first time is always a learning experience!
:water:

Can I use any type of Parrafin?

That's what I would like to know or a certain type ?

Back