What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

any growing secrets?

i wold like to k'now if there are any VFT growing secrets or seed germinating secrets to make things grow bigger better and faster and germinate a little faster.i have a bottle of willow rooting hormone that i made my self and im thinking of spraying it on the seeds to make them germinate faster.

Basics 101

"I"ve Been IN-The-Game Nearly 40-Years Now so-Here-Goes:

(1) CPs IN-General Get-Most-of-Their Nutrition from The Soil via-R Cyanobacterial / Mycorrhizal Relationship with The Roots & Leaf-Bases of The Plants so-to-Speak ... so-You Should-be Boning-UP ON-Just-What-R The Requirements as-Well-as Dislikes-R For-NOSTOC &-Other Cyanobacteria as-Well-as mycorrhizae In-Gerneral so-to-SPeak!!! >(*~*)< / >(*U^)<

(2) CPs Live-IN R-RICH Thought 'Seemingly'-Depauperate House-Way House Type-of Soil Arrangement of 'Gley'-Podzolic Coastal-Plain Soils Based-On The Chemistry-of-ALUMINIUM (Particularly Its Scavenging Abilities as-it Flows-through R-Site) as-Well-as The-Ecology of-CELLULOSE so-to-Speak ... Where The-Nutrients R-'Bound'-to The Cation-&-Anion Sites of the Cellulose so-to-Speak. These-Soils R-Related to-The-CHERNOZEM-Soils of The Southern-Steppes of Mongolia From-Whence Rhubarb was Derived via Marco-POLO From The-Chinese so-to-Speak ... so IN-Theory It-'Should'-be Possible to-Grow STRAWBERRIES, RHUBARB &-Other-Related-Plants Along-with CPs IN-The-One-Soil / Pot so-to-Speak!!! >(*~*)< Check-OUT Information ON Rhubarbs GIANT Nitrogen-Fixing South-American Cousins:"GUNNERA" as-Well so-to-Speak.

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...196258986_1226251478_3217024_1566530983_n.jpg

(3) Being Driven IN-This Manner You-Should-Find That-The-Plants Grow-as-much @-Nightime as-They Do During The-Day so-to-Speak Since The Mycorrhiza & Cyanobacteria Don't-Require Sunlight @-All IN-Order to-Function IE 'Fix'-Nitrogen Etc..

(4) As-STAHL Pointed-OUT Earlier Last-Century The-Plants R-Basically GLYCOPHYTES ... Which-Is Partly The-Reason for-Their HIGH-Solar Demand as-Well-as Water-Table &-Their Ability to-Grow Soo-Well IN-Tissue-Culture WITHOUT Insect-Prey so-to-Speak ... Again R Sugar Verses 'Salt' Type-of Balance Relationship as-With Their Half-Way-House Coastal-Plain Soils so-to-Speak!!! >(*U^)<

I myself have been "playing games" for over forty years!
So my discoveries differ a bit from those suggested!

I would advise learning the basics of how to grow the plants you want,
learn about & give them the environment they want,
experiment a bit, as everyone's conditions differ slightly from others,
so learn about your environment & tweak it a bit to see what works best for YOU.
I would take the time to get experience, as it is the best teacher & will give you the real information you need.
Then most important suggestion I have,
is find another hobby to distract you a bit while you grow,
as something I've found essential in this hobby,
is patience!
With it (and another hobby to distract your attention), your plants will grow like crazy!

Good Luck! :water:

I know this is a different way to look at things, but it has a side effect of building & improving personal character too! Something not all growers will develop, but when you meet one who has, you will know it!

your probably better off buying a decent size plant vft's from seed take years to grow,and larger plants are more durable

I've been in the game for 3 years. Here's my advice. The effect of nitrogen on the rhizome cycle is directly proportionate to the polyphosphate levels in the photosynthesis of the specimin. With that in mind try to maintain a 5 to 2 ratio of phosphates to enzymes relative to the respective phases of the moon. However intermittent atmospheric irregularities as well as levels of polyketes in the soil at various times of the year may call for higher barometric sampling especially during the fall months. Pretty simple if you follow these principles.

i wold like to k'now if there are any VFT growing secrets or seed germinating secrets to make things grow bigger better and faster and germinate a little faster.

Germinating "secret" #1: VFT seeds must be fresh. I'd say less than six months after seeds ripening will provide good germination rates with VFT seeds.

Growing "secret": Grower must be very patient. It needs years to grow them from seed to seed.

All the rest ist pretty standard. You can use pure peat or CP mixes for sowing and growing. Like many other species VFT seeds need light to germinate, so put the seeds on the surface, don't cover! Germinating time 2 to 6 weeks.

Preferred germination temperature: 23-27°C = 73-82°F

For faster growing of seedlings, keep under artificial lighting and 14 hours of lighting period with temperatures staying at 19-27°C / 66-82°F for the first 18 months (without any dormancy during that time), then treat them as normal.

i have a bottle of willow rooting hormone that i made my self

Hm, rooting hormone. Germination is controlled by an equilibrium of very different phytohormones contained and bred within the seed, which are activated and deactivated by the genes as the seed is exposed to light, water and the correct temperatures during the germination process. Do you think that you can provide a better equilibrium of phytohormones than the mother plant could provide for her seeds? I'm sceptical.

Here is mine: Get a well established plant, use the tray method, full sun or as much as possibly, needs winter dormancy, peat/pool sand or perlite mix 2:1, no fertilizer, no need for that willow stuff, probably no need for stratification if seed is fresh. If starting from seed you may want to protect somehow from rain unless you can use lights. Otherwise if you start with a mature vft use same methods but no need to worry about rain taking them out. Have fun. :water:
I've been in the game for 3 years. Here's my advice. The effect of nitrogen on the rhizome cycle is directly proportionate to the polyphosphate levels in the photosynthesis of the specimin. With that in mind try to maintain a 5 to 2 ratio of phosphates to enzymes relative to the respective phases of the moon. However intermittent atmospheric irregularities as well as levels of polyketes in the soil at various times of the year may call for higher barometric sampling especially during the fall months. Pretty simple if you follow these principles.

This sounds like Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory except for not.

Don't change the mother earth's way of doing things, because it will not work... like jesse said, im sceptical with this. In my little two years of being in the CP fever, i've learned that fertilizers and hormones won't work on them. You will have more satisfaction from seeing them growing nice and peaceful on their own anyway, so...

Offtopic: Chemists, behave! my head hurts.

TAKITZA: ... You're-'Correct' About Fertilizers IN-General ... They-Have to-be 'Bound'-to The Cation-&-Anion Exchange-Sites of The Organics of The-Soil.

Porous Quartzite-Sand Can-Only-Hold About 10% of It's Volume IN-Grams Whereas Organics Such-as Peat Can-Hold ~250g/Litre Whereas If-You're using Colloids You-Can Head-Towards Sedge-Peat Levels That-R Even-Higher &-Usually-Proportional to-Their Lignin-Content so-to-Speak.

From-R Fertilizer Perspective It's-Probably Best to-Think from R HIGH-Potassium Orchid / Tomato Point-of-View Methinkst so-to-Speak ... Alhough Most-CPs Don't-like IRON Per-se.

Back