What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Feeding during dormancy

Haven't been able to find any information on this. Is it necessary? ??????

Nope, I don't believe so.

No, just leave them alone.

Nope! It's actually never necessary to feed your flytraps. They'll grow faster if you do feed them, but it's not required.

Thanks! I appreciate the answers very much! =D

and, they wouldnt "eat" anyway, even if you tried to feed them..
VFT's traps only close well when its warm..at dormancy temps (35 to 50 degrees F)
the traps wont even close, and the "process" of digestion cant even happen..

plants, like cold blooded animals, need the warmth for normal metabolism.
and dormant plants, much like hibernating cold blooded animals (frogs, for example) dont eat at all
for the entire winter..they are in a state of suspended animation.

so, as everyone has said, no feeding during dormancy.

Scot

Ok, so I got my plants today which I'm sure excited about and I planted them. They also came with an extra Cape Sundew. Anyways, should I wait until spring to replant them because I didn't get enough soil to completely fill the pot it's about 3/4ths full. All the traps were closed and the plant looked unhappy and deflated almost. If that makes any sense, I'm assuming they will recover from that as it is probably from shipping right?

They traps are all closed because it was probably bumped around a bitduring shipping which triggered them all.. They might or might not open back up again depending on how many times they were closed before hand. Now you shoudnt feed them during dormacny because they probably wont even be able to actually eat the food if they can even close around it and it might rot.... and you mean to replant them again even though you jsut replanted them??? With vfts i think that should be fine. Ive done it before when i had to for one reaosn or another, but do it fast so they dont settle in and get uproted. I dont hink they will notice much if you do it quickly because the new rots wont get wound in the soil... Also, repotting ur cape should be fine. they are very hardy to all that kind of stuff.. And if it seems to not grow for a while thats fine because i have found that all of my dews never get their leaves to recover and dew up after shipping, and even the unfolded ones dont often complee thei growth so i wait until some new dewy ones come and then cut off all the shipped leaves....

Pretty much the worst time of year to buy a VFT..
it should be fully dormant right now, and there isnt much you can do with it except it keep it dormant until spring..(would be much better to simply wait until sprint to buy it..)

I think we determined earlier that Delaware is borderline safe for outdoor dormancy, so are you just planning to keep the plant outdoors for now? if so, it should be fine..assuming its a plant that is already dormant. do you know if the place you bought it from sells dormant VFTs during the winter?

Scot

Ya, i told him to contact the seller and askif they are dormant of not cuz if they are out of tc then they might not be. but if they are i would let it stay dormant till march

Yeah, I contacted him about it and he said they were going dormant and that he kept them in a greenhouse that never dropped below 40 so my plan was to just keep them outside. Yeah, I realized that it was a bad time to buy them after I had already purchased them but there isn't anything I can do now but wait until spring. Thanks for all the great help/advice... Signed-Total Noob

Hey I bought my 2 dentes 2 multifida extremas and 1 laueana in the beginning of february so it couldnt be any colder out and they all are alive and thriving now!!!!! My first cps :p

Ok, so it's been one week and the plants are now settled into their home and the VTFs especially look deflated. The Ryu has about 6-7 traps on it and only one of them has reopened. The plant is still green and isnt dried out or anything. Is this normal or is there something I'm missing? The much smaller common VFT its very green and none of those traps have reopened. Should I be worried? Again, sorry if this is a stupid question...

Back