What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Propagating with the flower stalk

This is my first attempt at doing this, does it look alright? Its about 1/4 inch into the soil and its under T8s... Thanks

1hotms.jpg

I've done this several times in the outdoor pots. I always get good strike rates. I'll take some pics of some one-year-olds and post them.

I'm also trying this out on some D. binata multifida extrema this year.... wonder if it'll work?

I've done this several times in the outdoor pots. I always get good strike rates. I'll take some pics of some one-year-olds and post them.

I'm also trying this out on some D. binata multifida extrema this year.... wonder if it'll work?

003-8.jpg

Very cool, Jim. Thanks for sharing.

As promised, here are a few one year old flytraps I got from sticking cut flower stalks directly into the soil. They were all grown outside and went through dormancy. I did nothing special.

P4240004.jpg

P4240008.jpg

I hope mine turns out that way, it looks like I'll have 3 other plants to try with. How long does it take to start to see new plants? Did you get more than one plant from one stalk?

I don't think I got more than one plant per stalk.
I also wasn't very attentive in noticing how long they took to show new growth. I know it was several weeks later and before the upper half of the stalk turned black.

Do you all cut the whole main flower stalk (with all the flowers) and bury it? Or just one flower, with its stalk? TIA!

I cut the entire flower stalk off at the base as close to the plant a possible and then lay it out horizontal in live Sphagnum moss. I find I get much more strikes that way vs planting the stalk upright. I'll often tag the stalk with a piece of masking tape if putting several cuttings in the moss.

01300012.jpg

01300011.jpg

P4030048.jpg

_IGP0353a.jpg

P7160005-1.jpg

I now bury the entire stalk rather than at an angle as in the above pictures. You can get strikes along the entire length that way. The flowers will continue to blossom if cut before they open. Usually wait to see if I got seed before cutting the stalks but if the plant is struggling I'll cut it before the flowers start opening. I've gotten a couple dozen strikes per stalk this way.

Whee! That's amazing!! I cut the whole stalk a few days ago and laid it horizontally. Glad to know that it works as well as laying it vertically.

Just a thought...would laying it horizontally produce many small plants and laying it vertically produce less but bigger plants? Like the rhizome cuttings...

Don't know, will have to run a comparison test this year. My flytraps haven't been doing well last few years mainly due to spider mites. It's a myth that high humidity = no spider mites. You can have them, just not in the numbers you'll see when drier conditions favor massive population growth.

Sweet, Warren! Something new to try out this year! :awesome:

Well, you learn something new every day. I had no idea VFT's could be propagated this way.

Well, 2 months in and it worked for D. binata multifida extrema:

P5050026.jpg

I chopped off one VFT flower stalk and laid it horizontally and will do the others when they get a little longer. I am excited to try this! I dusted the one with a little rooting hormone for good luck.

Great information! Learn something new everyday. I am definitely going to try these methods with my VFTs as I usually cut the flower stalks and throw them away. Thanx for the informative posts.

I've never tried this with a vft flower stalk, but as my capensis flower stalk aborted the buds, I'm seeing if anything will happen.

I tried propagating with a VFT flower stalk once but the newly formed plant ended up with small curly looking deformed traps and died soon after.

Flower stalks work great for lots of dews. Will have to try with VFT's when the time comes. To think of all those flower stalks I cut off and threw away (back in the days when I had VFT's), makes me want to cry.

Back