What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Fly in Winter

It wouldn't be unusual for a fly to be cruising in warmer weather but here in the Midwest we are having pretty typical temperatures right now. I noticed that my B52 has a trap tightly closed which usually indicated a victim has bought it and sure enough the shadow and wing tip gives it away. The trap is about 1.25" long which makes this fly a big one.

554296_594854360540241_1509109578_n.jpg

535518_594854437206900_1818224413_n.jpg

That fly was probably just out for a nice winter stroll.

He was probably just searching for some nectar...and found some:awesome:.

Big mistake right there!

Funny part is that the plant is in one of those Neptune racks with the greenhouse bag over it and an ultrasonic humidifier pouring fog across the VFT's and Nepenthes. I imagine the fly larva was in the soil of one of the newly arrived Neps and hatched out into a mine field. I inadvertently killed off my fungus gnat maggot population when I recently applied a systemic insecticide so my theory on how the fly wound up in there is probably valid..............I hope more hatch out so I might get lucky and video another fly bite the nectar.

He never had a chance

Funny part is that the plant is in one of those Neptune racks with the greenhouse bag over it and an ultrasonic humidifier pouring fog across the VFT's and Nepenthes. I imagine the fly larva was in the soil of one of the newly arrived Neps and hatched out into a mine field. I inadvertently killed off my fungus gnat maggot population when I recently applied a systemic insecticide so my theory on how the fly wound up in there is probably valid..............I hope more hatch out so I might get lucky and video another fly bite the nectar.

Lol post if you get one

02-06-2013
The trap started opening yesterday leaving me wondering what went wrong but when I inspected the fly carcass today it is completely digested. As can be seen the eyes and abdomen are collapsed with all soft tissue having been absorbed by the plant. Amazingly fast or so it would seem but then I didn't actually see what day the trap closed. The fly's legs are in contact with two of the trigger hairs which is probably where it was when it closed.
536017_597506873608323_432539319_n.jpg

Nice shot! he didn't even know what hit him :lol:

Nice :) Great looking plant too. Leads me to wonder though; why isn't your flytrap dormant this time of the year?

I've thought of forcing a couple of my flytraps to grow in winter and go dormant in the summer, but never got around to trying it out yet. Is that what you're doing with your flytrap, or is this just a VERY early spring for it...Or have you skipped dormancy altogether (*bad idea*)?

Just wondering...Cool pics though!

I received the plant in November so rather than move it to dormancy I decided to keep it going and let it rest next winter. Placing diluted orchid fertilizer inside the traps gives it a big boost and I will be taking daily pictures to show the results of the latest victim. My typical form flytrap is the nicest looking of the three I have with this B52 being second.

Nice one!
Venus flytraps: 1
Flies: 0
:-))

Back