What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bohemian Garnet just won't grow!

Sorry im a little prime sometimes, i need a doctor! :/

maiden that is fantastic growth,well done

richjam1986's suggestion about fertilizing is a good one. They can be fertilized, especially through the leaves by misting, without much risk. But misting with fertilizer usually results in algae blooms and, if there is any carpet moss on the top of the soil, the moss will grow very quickly as well and can choke out small plants fairly quickly.

Obviously feeding them is the best (lowest risk) way to get them to grow quickly, but when the traps are small options for feeding are small.

The best way to get them to grow to a large size is a long growing season, lots of food in the traps and excellent care.

As as some of the others have already mentioned, I'm pretty skeptical that the plants in the video Maiden posted are 8 months old from seed. I've grown thousands of plants in tissue culture and have never had one get that big so quickly in TC. And they grow about 5 times as fast in TC as they do in soil.

As as some of the others have already mentioned, I'm pretty skeptical that the plants in the video Maiden posted are 8 months old from seed. I've grown thousands of plants in tissue culture and have never had one get that big so quickly in TC. And they grow about 5 times as fast in TC as they do in soil.**

-Thx for the compliment! :) Because i made it. And im just a beginner! So i think you should review your culture conditions my friend.

More pictures of my ~received from BCP.com May 2012~Sow May 2012~Germination June 2012~ plants :)

Feb 2013:

8525502774_7f0b2e2c93.jpg

8524388493_f0e2da2c71.jpg

8525503808_f2a8f0ebaf.jpg

8524389437_7d03c294b2.jpg

Cheers!

PS: My nickname is dals009 on flickr, i have many pictures of differents states of development since last summer.

Last edited:
if you think about it it makes sense that they could be 8 weeks old i mean they must be under perfect conditions

PS: My nickname is dals009 on flickr, i have many pictures of differents states of development since last summer.
Sorry man, I'm just not buying it. I'd need to see a series of photos starting with seeds and updated photos of the same pot to believe it.

I see that you had some small red plants and one green plant in a large pot in the photos here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dals09/7497465974/in/set-72157632912092780
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dals09/7497467508/in/set-72157632912092780

Photos were taken on July 2nd. If you sowed the seed in May and germination took 4 to 5 weeks, as you say, that means the seeds germinated sometime in June. Even assuming that they germinated in early June, this would mean the plants in those photos would be less than one month old from germination. Really? Not a chance, I say. Even the moss on the top of the soil likely wouldn't be as well developed as it is in those photos in just two months.

Below is a photo of what flytraps look like 7 weeks after germination. The size of the seedlings in the photo is along the lines of the thousands and thousands of seedlings I've seen in photos and germinated myself from seed:
7_week_seedlings.jpg

And I see you have them labeled "Green Dragon" and "Red Dragon." If they are from seed, you know that they are not "Green Dragon" and "Red Dragon" cultivated varieties, right? Those can only be propagated vegetatively (divisions, pullings, tissue culture, etc.), not by seed. Are you sure you didn't get tissue culture plants from BCP?
if you think about it it makes sense that they could be 8 weeks old i mean they must be under perfect conditions
Actually, if you really think about it, it makes no sense that they could be 8 weeks or or even 8 months old from seed. I just don't think it's possible for flytraps to grow that fast from seed regardless of conditions. Tissue culture is "perfect" conditions: no pathogens nor pests (completely sterile environment), controlled temperature, 100% humidity, all the nutrients the plant wants, etc. In 8 months, plants grown from seed in vitro are sometimes nearly adult sized, but not as large as the ones in Maiden's photos. That's why I'm not believing it.

Those could be 8 months out of tissue culture, but I just don't believe that they are 8 months old from seed.

But all of this is way off topic from the original post. Comparing the growth rate for plants from seedlings to that of a 'Bohemian Garnet' cultivar is two completely different things. 'Bohemian Garnet' is a small flytrap. Growing it to a large size is much more challenging than doing so for other flytraps.

Its not a competition man, you are not the best vfts grower in the world, sometimes you can meet someone who is better than you. You should learn from this, not trying to find a single date error to satisfy your ego.

You should react like a scientific. Im not a lyar. I dont understand why you dont beleive me. My seeds was not sow in june, but germinate in june, my mistake.

My plants are not adults, no flowers this spring for sure. But they are 5 inches tall and very nice. And very well fed. And if i stop feeding them for a couples of weeks, the seedlings will reduce the size. The high feeding rate keep the plants big.

2012/07/10 (4-5 weeks after germination)
8527505728_f82b01156b_b.jpg

8527504986_5dd30418a6_b.jpg

2012/07/30
8526390779_28ae4d8ec8_b.jpg

2012/10/05
8527502384_bd09a7afb4_b.jpg

2012/10/19
8526388141_5d0f14e9f7_b.jpg

2012/12/18
8527494530_d7a1c1b6e0_b.jpg

8525502774_7f0b2e2c93_b.jpg

8524388493_f0e2da2c71_b.jpg

Like a told you many times, the key is FEEDING. Maybe you dont know how feed your plants? Maybe you have the wrong methods? Maybe you need more experience ? We are here for that :)

On your picture, i cannot find a single trap closed with food. THAT is your problem. Your seedlings are very small for 2 months seedlings.

And if your moss are not like that after 2 months, you REALLY have growing problem. Picture 5 was after repotting, and on picture 6(2months later) you can see the moss evolution.

I just want to let you know that im taking growing very seriously, and i have no reason to tell something not true here.

And for the name akay ryu, and green dragon, you are right, i have to change the name for akay ryu F5 or Akai ryu x Akai ryu.

friendly

Maiden

PS We are not offtopic, we talk about growing speed.

Last edited:
I agree with mmlr38. I see no way possible that those grew that fast from seed. You have the pics, but the dates are unbelievable. BTW, mmlr38 is one of the owners of FlyTrapCare, the largest (as far as I know) flytrap provider in the world. He has grown literally thousands of seeds to adult hood and is very familiar with TC. So I would say he is entitled to judge your photos with the experience he definitely has.

"I see no way possible that those grew that fast from seed"

Maybe you should learn more? You guys thinks you are the gods of vfts?

Noboby in the world can be better than you?

Its a stupid way of thinking.

"He has grown literally thousands of seeds to adult hood and is very familiar with TC"

LOL

Im a beginner, and i grow my seeds faster. Im proud now, thanks a lot for the info :)

My plants are not mature by the way, maybe i will have to wait one or 2 more years for flowers. They are just big because they are well fed, but its still seedling.

That guy should buy another book, because he grow his seeds wrong. I have the proof in my terrarium.

Do you think i add some color with photoshop to my heliamphora,? its another good way to consoling yourself if my heli are much red than yours?

you are on the ego side, and its very funny.

I lost enough time here trying to explain. Grow your little weak seedlings, and i will grow my big well fed seedlings

You can think what you want, i just dont care :)

XoX

cheers

PS: "A loser is someone who refuse to learn, reject the new ideas, and doesnt want to go foward trying new things."

Last edited:
Please, let's not turn this into another huge debate thread like on the pitcher-plant forums. Leave the man to his vfts and stop accusing him.

Terrarium eh? Brave man. I would he afraid to do that. I grow mine outside in the good old sunshine. Here's my typical as of a few weeks ago. It's about 2-3 year old, AFAIK.
IMAG0347_zps05f5f872.jpg

Here's one of my giants.
IMAG0011_zps81fcb0f1.jpg

That one is not out of dormancy yet. That was taken last fall.

Never tried growing from seed, but they do seem to grow pretty fast in conditions they like.

I think you, Maiden, could perhaps move your light closer. See how mine are compact? It's cause they get enough light to put their energy towards growing large traps and not waste it growing long stalks in an attempt to get more light. But that's also a dilemma in growing vft in a terrarium, hence why it scares me a bit.

Look dude, I was just stating the facts. I in fact have never tried to grow VFTs from seed before nor do I want to try anytime soon. I wasn't attacking you on purpose, just stating my opinion. Now that you say they aren't mature its a little better looking. Congrats! You have a great set up.

I dont understand why you dont beleive me.
Because you've provided no evidence to this point that the plants were actually seeds in June and I've seen thousands of VFTs grown from seed, both by myself and hundreds of other people and none of them come even close to growing as quickly as you claim your "seedlings" to. Are you sure you didn't receive tissue culture plants?

My seeds was not sow in june, but germinate in june, my mistake.
That's a pretty big mistake in the timeline and I think it's not the only thing you're mistaken about in your posts.

2012/07/10 (4-5 weeks after germination)
8527505728_f82b01156b_b.jpg
Impossible, I say! I'd really like to see what they looked like 7 to 10 days after germination and then 20 days after germination. The smallest plants in your photos are 12 to 24 month old plants!

Like a told you many times, the key is FEEDING. Maybe you dont know how feed your plants? Maybe you have the wrong methods? Maybe you need more experience ? We are here for that :)
Yes, I know that feeding flytraps will help them grow more quickly. But what you are stating is a complete improbability! Venus fly traps don't even make their first trap until approximately 4 to 6 weeks after germinating!!! How can you feed a plant with no traps? And the first few traps are so small, they're almost impossible to feed.

On your picture, i cannot find a single trap closed with food. THAT is your problem. Your seedlings are very small for 2 months seedlings.
Actually, that is not a photo of my seedlings. I only grow seedlings in vitro now. Sowing them in soil is too slow. I can show you what 2 month old seedlings look like in vitro where they don't have to fight any pests, have all the nutrition they need, are in 100% humidity and grow 7 times as fast as plant sown in soil. See below photo for seedlings that are 6 weeks old, sown in vitro on 1-25-2013 (black seed pods are about 1mm in size for reference):
e291ea09708e010ff0b1774a.jpg

And if your moss are not like that after 2 months, you REALLY have growing problem.
Hah, are you trolling here or are you serious? Take a look at the photos in these threads to see what the normal growing rate for baby flytraps is:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/look-at-these-cuties-t18420.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/ti-h-s-vft-t17762.html

I've probably seen nearly a hundred such documentations of growing flytraps from seed, and I've grown several thousand from seed myself (both in vitro and in vivo). They all grow about the same rate, which is no where near as fast as you're claiming.

See this video as well:

I just want to let you know that im taking growing very seriously, and i have no reason to tell something not true here.
You do if you're trolling!

And for the name akay ryu, and green dragon, you are right, i have to change the name for akay ryu F5 or Akai ryu x Akai ryu.
Hmm, another mistake. I wonder how many other mistakes have been made in your posts and the "facts" you state?

PS We are not offtopic, we talk about growing speed.
Original post was talking about growing speed of Bohemian Garnet. Although it has the same basic needs, that plant is unique and doesn't grow the same as an average flytrap. It tends to stay very small even with lots of feeding and good growing conditions because it divides a lot.

Oh! I just had an idea. Maiden, I thought of a way you could prove your seemingly incredible growth rate for Dionaea seedlings that you seem to think is repeatable with the methods you use.

I would be willing to send you a packet of Dionaea seed for free provided that once you sow the seeds, you take photos of the seedlings at least every 5 days and post them to a thread here on TerraForums. The seeds would be from giant flytraps, so that would give you an advantage even because they'll have good genetics.

Send me a PM with your mailing address and let's get this party started! Will ship the seeds on Monday if I hear from you by then.

Is there somewhere I can read on termination via tc? Would like to learn.

Is there somewhere I can read on termination via tc? Would like to learn.
This should get you started: Tissue Culture Basics

The required supplies and protocols listed there are all you need to get started. Seeds are quite easy to sterilize, so start with them first if you make an attempt.

I don't mean to hijack Tuuagso's thread, but that link mmlr38 provided is phenomenal. It's helped a lot with my project.

ok

First of all, sorry for my english, its my third language and its kind of hard for my trying to defend myself here, but trust me i try hard.

Secondly, i was a lil upset with your comments so sorry for the 'promptness' of my words.

Before you guys told me thats almost impossible grow rate, i taugh my progress where normal, cauz its my first time.

Im very anger about myself, because i didnt care about taking a progress sheet and more pictures.

mmlr38: i didnt know you before this thread, I saw your website, and i have no reason coming here and lie to you.
Im a serious person in life, and my biggest surprise is that you contest my results!

I will take your last post point by point and try to explain the best i can.

-=-

"Because you've provided no evidence to this point that the plants were actually seeds in June and I've seen thousands of VFTs grown from seed, both by myself and hundreds of other people and none of them come even close to growing as quickly as you claim your "seedlings" to. Are you sure you didn't receive tissue culture plants?"

Last spring(2012), i went on bcp.com, i order sarracenia minor seeds, and vft red mix seeds(even if i got 2 green very aggressive(faster grown) germination, dunno why)

Got the seeds (lil black seeds), i think was a 50 seeds bag.

Sow the seeds, early may and i got very fast germination, but a very bad rate. i had 13 plants on 50 seeds.

-=-

"That's a pretty big mistake in the timeline and I think it's not the only thing you're mistaken about in your posts."

Probably, i didnt know ill have to defend my results like this, so i didnt care much to take a progress sheet.

-=-

"Impossible, I say! I'd really like to see what they looked like 7 to 10 days after germination and then 20 days after germination. The smallest plants in your photos are 12 to 24 month old plants!"

What can i say? for sure its not 12 to 24 months seedlings, because i was not a cps grower at this time. I know you will not beleive me, im sad about it, but the plants on the picture have a few weeks, and all the germination occur almost the same 3-4 days. I assume the green is a green dragon, of course its not.

-=-

"Yes, I know that feeding flytraps will help them grow more quickly. But what you are stating is a complete improbability! Venus fly traps don't even make their first trap until approximately 4 to 6 weeks after germinating!!! How can you feed a plant with no traps? And the first few traps are so small, they're almost impossible to feed."

My seedling produce cotiledon(?). i mean seed leaves. After that, the seedling produce traps. Very tiny traps, and if i remember, the traps was odd, mostly 'square' trap. And i fed the first traps with dryed blood worm. I take some dryed worm, i add water. and i made a ball of meat. After that, with a toothpic, i take a tiny piece of meat with my toothpic, and put the lil piece in the tiny trap. The trap doesnt close that way, i have to take 2 toothpics, and gently close the trap, and with the toothpic i gentle push each side of the trap to help them seal. One hour later, i open again the terrarium ans i push each side again very softly with the toothpics to be sure the trap is sealed. Each feeding session take me more than 1 hour, but was fun for me.

-=-

"Actually, that is not a photo of my seedlings. I only grow seedlings in vitro now. Sowing them in soil is too slow. I can show you what 2 month old seedlings look like in vitro where they don't have to fight any pests, have all the nutrition they need, are in 100% humidity and grow 7 times as fast as plant sown in soil. See below photo for seedlings that are 6 weeks old, sown in vitro on 1-25-2013 (black seed pods are about 1mm in size for reference):"

Never tryed TC, but on your picture you can see the square traps that im talking about. Nice picture by the way!
-=-

"Hah, are you trolling here or are you serious? Take a look at the photos in these threads to see what the normal growing rate for baby flytraps is:
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/lo...es-t18420.html
http://www.flytrapcare.com/phpBB3/ti...ft-t17762.html

I've probably seen nearly a hundred such documentations of growing flytraps from seed, and I've grown several thousand from seed myself (both in vitro and in vivo). They all grow about the same rate, which is no where near as fast as you're claiming."

I was serious, if i let a pot alone, with no plant in, and i water the pot each day, the moss will grow very fast, at least in my terrarium. Its maybe a matter of light. Dunno, im not a moss expert. It just grown, i dont pay attention.. But next time i will take a progress sheet on my moss too haha

-=-

"You do if you're trolling!"

eeee i dont ever know what trolling is.

-=-

"Hmm, another mistake. I wonder how many other mistakes have been made in your posts and the "facts" you state?"

No, when you cross 2 akay ryu, the result is 'akai ryu x akai ryu' or akai ryu F5 or else, but not a real akai ryu. at least, its what i read on terraforums.
And its not a misstake, i really have to change the name :)

-=-

"Original post was talking about growing speed of Bohemian Garnet. Although it has the same basic needs, that plant is unique and doesn't grow the same as an average flytrap. It tends to stay very small even with lots of feeding and good growing conditions because it divides a lot. "

The original post, was about growing speed, and i think the person will be helped with our posts.

-=-

Here my culture condition:

In a terrarium, thats mean i never touch the plant, exept for feeding them.
No wind, no rain. I water my plant once a week, with demineralized water, from the top. 1oz each time.
The brand of water is Quebec-O. A local water company.
Dunno why, but if i let my plants on a water tray, the grow is strange, like twisted new traps.
I use Sunblaster lighting tube. (Sunblasterlighting.com) <--- have a look.
And my RH% is 70% the days, and 100% all nights.

Its not a reference, but here in quebec we are the best in the world for growing canabis, we won each year cannabis cup on hightimes,
and the growers claim doing this with sunblaster. So maybe you should have a try with this lighning? You cannot know before trying.
Dont get me wrong, im not a drug addicted!

I keep my plant at 24-25C all days, and under 20 each nights.
Once a week, i raise the heat to 28-29C, and i found that the plants have a boost next couples days when the temps returning at 24C.

My entire setup:

8563015846_3ea177b2bf_b.jpg

Thats it ! I cannot say more.
Maybe, by luck, i have found a perfect conditions, when put all this together faster the grow rate?
Maybe we have news technics of growing, and with this we can improve the vfts seedlings care?

I have no control if you dont beleive me, its just sad.

I have 0 reasons to dish you here, 0.

Im here to learn, and like a said, i sincerely taugh my progress was normal before this thread.

For your offer, no problem i will try the same growing conditions with your seeds, and beleive me, you will be flooded with pictures, dates, and even hours.
My girlfriend will help me with this.

Friendly,

Maiden

Last edited:
@Maiden: How long is your light on per day?

16 hours/day

Back