What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

‘Carolina Red Trap’

I have been growing vfts for a number of years and i have not encounterd this vft? The ‘Carolina Red Trap’

Regards

What do you want to know about it? Is It a cultivar or something? Otherwise, it just sounds like a general description of the species: Flytraps are from "Carolina", and they often have "red trap" interiors. So, in that sense, yes you have encountered it, lol ;). Jk, but seriously I can't find anything about any such cultivar, if that's what it is. Do you have a link refering to it that you could share?
Not to be mean, but as a suggestion to help us all out: If you want meaningful comments, give us some level of detail or thoughts on the topic you bring up :)

Last edited:
This is a carnivorous plant forum to learn and discuss carnivorous plants and to ask questions not to be told how to go about it.

Regards

I do not think I have heard of 'Carolina Red Trap' but it sounds lovely.

Actually...wait. Now that I think about it I feel like I have heard of something similar...never mind. I looked. I've heard of 'Carolina Giant' before.

firerock, he was merely making a suggestion and he even added some important information regarding whatever it is you are asking about the Carolina Red Trap, by saying he could not find any reference to the cultivar. Is there anything in particular you were hoping to learn about this plant(s)? We don't really have much to work with based off of your original post.

These where up for auction on ebay. This is what it read : This auction is for 5 ASST UNTAGGED Seed Grown Venus Flytrap. None of them are typicals. They are most likely ‘B-52’, ‘Cupped Trap’, ‘Fang’, ‘Sawtooth", ‘Bristle Tooth’, ‘Carolina Red Trap’, ‘Paradisia’, ‘Dingley Giant’ or ‘Fused Tooth’. Some are too small to be sure, others too hard to tell with out a tag. They will be shipped bare root in moistened paper towel and bagged. I will TRY to get a diverse group, but no guarantees of the outcome.

Regards

I grow a few "Carolina Red Traps". A couple of years ago Bob Ziemer sent me a flower stalk from his mother plant. I put it in tissue culture and it "took" but was contaminated with bacteria. Because of the contamination, and because I had no idea if it was even a plant worth growing (having never seen one in person), I just potted out all of the plantlets instead of trying to save the culture. Some are getting near adult size now and I should have one that's fairly large this year and should know more about the variety's characteristics, provided I can find them. I've been having trouble keeping track of all of the varieties I grow now! There are too many!

Last edited:
Only registered cultivars should be enclosed in single quote marks ('). Of the names listed only ‘B-52’, ‘Cupped Trap' and ‘Sawtooth' are registered. Finding any useful information on unofficially named clones is difficult at best - they could be something made up at the moment. There's nothing to stop me from buying a Venus Flytrap from Home Depot and calling it "Sticky Fingers" and offer it for sale or trade. For that matter I could claim it is 'Cupped Trap' however since there is a published standard to compare it to such fraud would be quickly detected. Caveat emptor.

I've been having trouble keeping track of all of the varieties I grow now! There are too many!

And many are in reality unremarkable and are indistinguishable from others unless labeled.

I grow a few 'Carolina Red Traps'. A couple of years ago Bob Ziemer sent me a flower stalk from his mother plant. I put it in tissue culture and it "took" but was contaminated with bacteria. Because of the contamination, and because I had no idea if it was even a plant worth growing (having never seen one in person), I just potted out all of the plantlets instead of trying to save the culture. Some are getting near adult size now and I should have one that's fairly large this year and should know more about the variety's characteristics, provided I can find them. I've been having trouble keeping track of all of the varieties I grow now! There are too many!

Do you happen to have any pictures of them?

No, unfortunately I haven't taken any photos of them yet. Maybe later this summer when they look nicer.

I grow a few "Carolina Red Traps". A couple of years ago Bob Ziemer sent me a flower stalk from his mother plant.
When I saw the thread title, I said to myself - I used to grow a plant by that name. When I read that mmlr38 said that he received his from Bob Z -- & I wondered -- hmmm - I think I sent him a bunch of plants way back when. So I wandered over to Bob's growlist & sure enough, this plant is listed as being from me.

I received this plant (& several others) from Charles Brewer. I'm not certain whether I still grow it but I do recall that, in my conditions, several other varieties had both larger & deeper-red traps than this clone. You may be able to get more details directly from Charles ...

firerock, he was merely making a suggestion and he even added some important information regarding whatever it is you are asking about the Carolina Red Trap, by saying he could not find any reference to the cultivar. Is there anything in particular you were hoping to learn about this plant(s)? We don't really have much to work with based off of your original post.

Thank you. My point exactly...No offence intended in my orriginal post. Its just to say that if you are very general and non-specific in your request for information, you'll get pretty non-specific and meaningless information in return. That's just a fact. It's courteous to help others understand what information you actually want, otherwise we just have to guess (which isn't fun).
Anyway, no worries. Point made.
Carry on ;)

Last edited:
Thank you. My point exactly...No offence intended in my orriginal post. Its just to say that if you are very general and non-specific in your request for information, you'll get pretty non-specific and meaningless information in return. That's just a fact. It's courteous to help others understand what information you actually want, otherwise we just have to guess (which isn't fun).
Anyway, no worries. Point made.
Carry on ;)

:offtopic:

When I saw the thread title, I said to myself - I used to grow a plant by that name. When I read that mmlr38 said that he received his from Bob Z -- & I wondered -- hmmm - I think I sent him a bunch of plants way back when. So I wandered over to Bob's growlist & sure enough, this plant is listed as being from me.

I received this plant (& several others) from Charles Brewer. I'm not certain whether I still grow it but I do recall that, in my conditions, several other varieties had both larger & deeper-red traps than this clone. You may be able to get more details directly from Charles ...

Oh well that is exciting that the plants came from you.

Thanks for the bit of history Ron. I haven't been overly impressed with the small plants I have (granted, they're still quite small and young Dionaea can look quite different than they will when they mature), which is probably why I'm not even sure where they are right now...

Back