What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can you tell the difference between a jaws and a dente venus flytrap???

Where did you get it?

From Joel a while back on eBay, it was only listed as “Adult Venus Flytrap, $20.00.”

Last edited:
Ok pics are gonna be needed then

Have you asked Joel which cultivars he has or what it is likely to be? It could be he only has one of the two.

Here is what joel said,

I have lots of Dentes and often use them for the 3 small listing. I have Jaws but only in my breeding stock and possibly a few put in with my inventory but I don't know which ones they are.

"Jaws" has larger traps than "Dentate Traps" as far as I know. Just using a reference from Barry Rice.

"The trap spines are short and pointy, the traps are big."

I dunno, I gave up on the cultivar thing a while ago. Some many of the VFT cultivars all look the same anyway.

"Jaws" has larger traps than "Dentate Traps" as far as I know. Just using a reference from Barry Rice.

"The trap spines are short and pointy, the traps are big."
How big do you calculate? The traps are an inch long and fully grown. Sometimes an inch and 1/8.

I would say that a "large" leaf is at least one inch, but I don't know. If "Jaws" can have traps one and an eighth inches long, it's certainly bigger than my "Dentate Traps" plant's ones. I've has mine for almost a month and a half and it hasn't made any traps bigger than three quarters of an inch. But that's just me...

I have found that dente has a deep curve to the trap ( Like King Henry) also the teeth are shorter and the color of the traps can get deep red.
Jaws I have found are not as curved as dente with the teeth to be a bit larger with triangular shaped teeth. as for color the Jaws traps Get that deep red that can cover the outside of the traps. Size JAWS is a larger trap. My 2 penny s:-D

Once the ID is lost there is no retrieving it for most VFT. There are too many similar cultivars, not to mention seed-grown individuals that may resemble another cultivar.

Back