What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Unknow dionaea seeds growing challenge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again :)

As many of you know, i had spectacular result with my 2012/2013 vft seedlings. Was the first time for me sowing vfts seeds, so for me, my results was normal. My seeds (akai ryu F5, green dragon F5), sowed spring 2012, are almost adults now. Im pretty shy to tell you this after all this, but i have one with flowers stalk since last week!:blush:

8816493808_fab9fffa85_b.jpg

But many of ya was suspicious, and i can understand that.

(Sorry again Tuuagso for taking over your thread); http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?133371-Bohemian-Garnet-just-won-t-grow!

The problem is, i was perfectly honest, and my results was real. So, mmlr38 sent me free unknow Vfts seeds, for a growing challenge. He want to see if i will be able to repeat my results.

So here my thread :)

Day 1

8808321374_7368561a00_b.jpg

Those are some beautiful plants in your last photo! :jester:
All joking aside, this could be a challenge. However, you've got some experience, which will serve you and your plants well. Just a quick warning, though: Don't expect your results to be consistent. Growing success depends heavily on the genetics of individual plants. If your seeds are unknown flytrap crosses or selfs, they will most likely all be very different.

Sidenote: Would you mind sharing a few tips on Venus flytrap seeds? I'm sure you and me are not the only ones trying to grow these plants from seeds. (Yes, I have pollinated--or rather some bugs have--and seeds are currently being made. I'll probably set up a SASE giveaway or something.)

"Those are some beautiful plants in your last photo!"
-haha after my sarracenia wizard cross, now i grow invisible flytraps!

"Don't expect your results to be consistent. Growing success depends heavily on the genetics of individual plants. If your seeds are unknown flytrap crosses or selfs, they will most likely all be very different."
-very true. We gonna see ! But im pretty sure mmlr38 have good genetics.

"Would you mind sharing a few tips on Venus flytrap seeds? I'm sure you and me are not the only ones trying to grow these plants from seeds."
-im not a expert but if i can help. Many many TF users grow vft's from seeds.

"I'll probably set up a SASE giveaway or something"
-Same here, i will give the plants to the forums members. I will keep one or two maybe :)

I used a medium consisting of 70% peat moss and 20% perlite
I used a cheap grow light from wal - mart and was 17 watts
The light was above the pot at 5 - 6 inches above the seed
I sprayed them with distilled water once a week or once in a while to prevent so much algae and fungi growth.
Temperatures ranged from 70F - 85F
And in 4 - 5 weeks I got a successful germination rate

And you can always use any special ways in growing them.
But here is what I did.
(This reply goes for every member) :p
Oh an one more thing I planted the seed in a clear plastic bin with 6 holes at the top to get some air sc.

for future reference, you can just edit your post instead of double posting. proper forum etiquette ;)

I'm excited to see this experiment getting started. Go get 'em Maiden!!!
Im pretty shy to tell you this after all this, but i have one with flowers stalk since last week! :blush:
I think I mentioned that those were adult-sized flytraps :lol:
Just a quick warning, though: Don't expect your results to be consistent. Growing success depends heavily on the genetics of individual plants. If your seeds are unknown flytrap crosses or selfs, they will most likely all be very different.
Why do you say this? Has that been your experience or have you read it somewhere? In my experience germinating thousands of seeds, genetics does play some small roll, but it seems quite minor and if one took a random sampling of seeds from giant flytraps (as is the case here), there is no reason to believe that growing results wouldn't be repeatable. Genetics seems to have more of an affect on the maximum size a plant will reach rather than how quickly they grow to adulthood.

This is from both personal experience and from some reading. Whenever I grow plant seeds, each plant is different from the others in some way(s). Genes are randomly distributed among plants and they do impact its life. Dominant and recessive genes seem to be what you're talking about. These are pretty much the same thing, but much more often than not traits are controlled by more than two genes, such as skin color and blood type in humans. Of course, humans are different than plants, but the parent plants of these seeds are unknown. Since no one knows the traits of the parent plants, the results might appear random to the common viewer (which of course we at the forums are not). Many things are just a matter of perspective.

Of course, you do have a point in that growing results can be repeated. I meant that plants will be different not in growing size but in other, smaller ways: reaction to fertilizers, temperature, humidity, light, etc. Those sorts of things do depend a bit more on individual genetics than physical traits.

First 2 sprouts !! 11 days later. Pretty fast ! :0o:

(Sorry for quality, on the first one you can see the sprout on the center, outfocus)

8953100149_62e6d52d9c_b.jpg

8953100295_5a66879f12_b.jpg

:-D :-D

The conditions are:
32C days, 26C nights
90%RH 24/7
T5 tube 24w+nanotech Crystal reflector.
Misting every morning

By the way, i sowed some drosera capensis white flowers seeds at the same time, in the same pot, and i got many sprouts since 2 days.

*plays Legend of Zelda jingle*
YOU GOT THE THING!!!!!!!!!! :laaa:

Good job! I can't wait to see what they turn into. Growing seeds is so suspenseful.

lol
Yeah same here :) the sprouts have tiny white roots!
Last year my germination take longuer than this. Im confident about the growing speed! My goal is to have adults sized plants next summer :)

"Ganon level music"
Thats why i post this thread, nobody will contest my results with a official followup.

Well done! Glad to see the germination happening already! The seeds were stored well, so they should yield a good germination rate and a fairly quick time to germination (10 to 15 days is pretty normal under ideal conditions).

...(10 to 15 days is pretty normal under ideal conditions).

Just like my reaction to the germination of Drosera capensis...
10 day germination??????

Unfortunately my Drosera capensis have not exhibited this yet. They should sprout any day.

I also hope that some random wandering bee pollinated my Venus flytrap flowers so that all the expended energy was worth it.

Mmlr38: :) now i know what perfect seeds look like. Last year's seeds take many weeks to germinate. Your seeds are very viable, thanks for that! Right now almost all the seeds have germination!

Plant Planter: in my experience, drosera germinate very quickly, maybe 4-5 days for me. Last year was the same thing. (Spatulata, aliciae etc)
But to be honest, drosera seeds was just for fun, the real thing is vfts seeds germination :)

Edit: try to put a propagation plastic dome over your sowed seeds, and put the whole thing in direct sunlight. The temperature will raise very hight, 35C+, and the germination will be faster and stronger. (From my personnal experience)

The lil guys have grown ! Next week they will have their first lil traps, so the feeding process will begin. After that the growing speed will be increased.
All the seeds are seedlings now :-D

9072571518_8f10995b17_b.jpg

9070343289_0d04791308_b.jpg

9072571920_337418d52d_b.jpg

I will post new pictures when the little plants will have 3 or 4 traps. Thanx for watching ! :D

Last edited:
The lil guys have grown ! Next week i will have the first lil traps, so the feeding process will begin. After that the speed will increase.
All the seeds are seedlings now :-D

9072571518_8f10995b17_b.jpg

9070343289_0d04791308_b.jpg

9072571920_337418d52d_b.jpg

I will post new pictures when the little plants will have 3 or 4 traps. Thanx for watching ! :D

What exactly do you feed them? Do you buy bugs?

I use re-hydrated dryed blood worms :)

Did you buy or grow that moss? It looks nice.

I found that moss at my local gardening center! :)

For the log: update without picture. The second meal was this morning. Only 8 cannot be feeded for now. I have a total of 30 germinations, and almost all the littles plants already have 4 or more tiny traps. I will post pictures in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back