What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats this on my vft?

Just noticed these warts on one of my vfts yesterday. Took a picture and battery died in the camera, today battery was charged so I took some more photos. Tha warts were larger and more numerous. Any ideas as to what they are?

IMG_1595vftw.jpgIMG_1594vftw.jpgIMG_1601vftw.jpgIMG_1602vftw.jpg

Maybe it is the "Crested Petiole" plant?

I've seen this before in my plants. Don't be surprised if tiny plantlets start erupting out of the strange growth.

Why this adult plant have only one open trap? Maybe its a general health faillure?
Its the first time i see this kind of mutation!

I've seen this before in my plants. Don't be surprised if tiny plantlets start erupting out of the strange growth.

Cool That should make for wierd picture - kinda like Medusa of vft's
Why this adult plant have only one open trap? Maybe its a general health faillure?
Its the first time i see this kind of mutation!

This is a young plant in a 3" pot. There are 7 traps one forming (unopened), one wide open, and 5 with captured prey. There is also a flower spike.

Thanks for the link That looks right to me. Looking thru the different links It appears that this aberration can occur in more than one trap type.

As was suggested above, you are seeing a "mutation," so to speak. The plant isn't really turning into an X-man, though. A better term would be abnormal growth (read: not harmful growth).

These plants grow so repeatedly and during the spring and early summer relatively quickly. As such, this type of thing pops up periodically. Similarly, DIonaea are prone to false vivapary, dual headed traps, etc.

In a nutshell: it's something weird and neat on an already weird and neat plant. Great growing! The plant looks awesome to me, by the way.

Back