What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have a question on ASH being either added to media or on top... here's why

Hi everyone I have read that VFT do better after a bush fire hard to believe when they sit in water however, the rhizome is still located in the ground safe but the ASH is supposed to help aid the VFT, has anyone tried adding to there media if so what was the results. And since we have to be careful what we use is pot ash going to be ok or only the ash that you make for your one pit fire.

I always understood natural burns to be only in that they remove competing vegetation (i.e. those plants that would cause too much shade, etc.). The ash would be basically just carbon, and I don't think that would be necessary in the media as plants derive all of their carbon from the air (via photosynthesis).

where is your source that says that VFTs do better with ash? the bush fire itself is an advantage to the plant as it allows the plant direct access to sunlight instead of competing for it in taller grasses.
ash itself is basic, which removes protons (H+) from the area of influence. dont know how it would help the plant do better--maybe has something to do with increase O2 absorption?

My uncle used to ash his cigarettes in his plants (and he was a big plant collector) he claimed it was OK and even beneficial because the tobacco smell made the pests not like the plants and the ash itself provided phosphorus. That was his claim anyway. not sure what it would do for VFTs though. He mostly grew all kinds of Philodendrons and one Nepenthes.

also a sure fire way to get the tobacco mosaic virus...

Anyone that says VFTs sit in water Has obviously never seen them in the field It is not the ash from the fire that aids them but the smoke help this is germinate or at least that is the hypothesis as of right now. Like others have said the fire helps Burn away competing vegetation but aside from those two things those are the only benefit the fire has for the plant.
As for the ash only charcoal from burning Wood Should be used in a soil mix however I personally would not recommend it. They grow in mostly sand and live sphagnum.

As for the pot ash thing do NOT use any potash on Carnivorous plants. Most don't need the added potassium, not to mention that adding potassium would make your soil more basic and CPs love acidic soils.

keep in mind ash is mainly minerals and such and is highly alkaline......kinda defetes the purpose of using RO/distilled/rainwater on your plants if your going to add ash......not to mention its the equivalent of putting 0-1-3 (NPK) fertilizer on your plants.....most sources i see that say use it in gardens only suggest adding small amounts every other year......really dont think i would add it to any CP potting mixes

I have only ever heard of black volcanic ash being used for plants, but this is only for tomatoes and other things, AFAIK, and not for CPs.

Also want to add that black volcanic ash is hecka expensive.

As for the pot ash thing do NOT use any potash on Carnivorous plants. Most don't need the added potassium, not to mention that adding potassium would make your soil more basic and CPs love acidic soils.

Sulfate of Potash (potassium sulfate) won't alter the pH of soil.
Muriate of Potash (Potassium chloride) can slightly, though.

I use potassium sulfate on my veggies. I have a very potent fertilizer mix that I use on pretty much everything in my Spring / Summer garden and I utilize Sulfate of Potash in said fertilizer because it adds potassium without raising the pH of my soil.

But being that it's a 0-0-50 fertilizer, I wouldn't recommend it on any CPs!!

Back