What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Couple Questions about False Vivipary

I get several cases of false vivipary every year. I have a couple questions:

Is there a best time/way to transplant the new plant from the flower stalk to some peat/perlite? Should I include much or any of the flower stalk? Or just the little stem that attaches the plant to the stalk? None of my attempts at potting the false vivipary VFT succeeded last year.

This is the exciting one. I have a VFT that is not cupped and it produced a cupped VFT via false vivipary. I do have cupped trap VFTs in the same planter. Heck, I was going to ask if this mind indicate that all the seeds atop this stalk will be cupped, but I realized that it's probably different for each flower atop the stalk, and this one whole "flower" turned into a VFT, but that still leaves 4 or so other ones that could be pollinated differently.

So that's just one question and a cool thing I noticed.

Thanks!

Take a small length -- a couple of centimeters -- of the stem, along with the plantlet; and the application of a rooting hormone with a fungicide (Rootone) may be helpful . . .

Thanks, BigBella. Is Rootone something that a Lowe's or Home Depot would carry this time of year? I've never had rooting hormone, because I was always scared of accidentally getting one that isn't okay for CPs.

Is Rootone something that a Lowe's or Home Depot would carry this time of year? I've never had rooting hormone, because I was always scared of accidentally getting one that isn't okay for CPs.

Rootone is a standard powdered rooting agent, that has the added benefit of a fungicide; and I would imagine that any well-stocked garden supply shop should have it. I cannot think of any rooting agent that wouldn't be appropriate for use on CPs . . .

http://www.gardening123.com/ProductInfo/rootone/Benefits.asp

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that the defective gene that makes cupped traps in the "Cupped Trap" cultivar is not carried over to offspring, as with others. Since the "normal" flytrap creates "cupped" traps via false vivipary, I would suppose that since both parts of the plant have the same genes and that only a section of the stalk (which makes the cupped traps) has a defective gene (since false vivipary is caused by a mutation), you would need to isolate the defective gene from the normal gene, which, unfortunately, I have no idea how to do. :-(

I disagree with Plant Planter. A false vivaprous plant is genetically identical to the parent plant. Essentially, it is a division in the air. As such, if the parent is not cupped then the vivaporous new plant will also be non-cupped. Similarly, a cupped VFT will produce cupped divisions and vivapories because the cupping is genetic.

Seeds of a cupped plant will most likely not be cupped, though, as the genetic cards get shuffled and redealt, so to speak.

No offense to anyone! Either way, I always find false vivapory exciting.

All I know is I have a non-cupped VFT that put up a flower stalk that now has a cupped false vivaprous VFT.

I still haven't gotten any rooting hormone. I better get on that. Hard to find any with fungicide. It sounds like Rootone doesn't have it in it anymore.

I have no doubt the vivapory is cupped. Sometime traps cup due to environmental and hormonal conditions, even if the plant is typically non-cupped. I bet he rcent cupped trap is due to crazy hormones, a la the initial vivapory in the first place.

I love false vivapory pictures. Have you some?

Also, if you happen to have access to a willow tree, you can put willow cuttings in a cup of distilled water. Give it a week or two and the water will look filmy. That film is rooting and growth hormone; you can use that water to drench your new plant, thereby providing rooting hormone.

Last edited:
Looking at the traps again on the picture on my phone, I can't tell if maybe the traps are just so immature that they look cupped. :( I'm going to go out and take pictures now.

How rare is false vivipary supposed to be? I get a bunch.

I just read that willow tree trick the other day. I may try it.

I have never personally had false vivaproy occur, so perhaps that is why it is s interesting to me. I wonder if there is something about your location and/or conditions that encourages it.

What media and water are you using and what kind of lit do your plants receive?

I disagree with Plant Planter. A false vivaprous plant is genetically identical to the parent plant. Essentially, it is a division in the air. As such, if the parent is not cupped then the vivaporous new plant will also be non-cupped. Similarly, a cupped VFT will produce cupped divisions and vivapories because the cupping is genetic.

Seeds of a cupped plant will most likely not be cupped, though, as the genetic cards get shuffled and redealt, so to speak.

No offense to anyone! Either way, I always find false vivapory exciting.

I did say that if the mutant gene was isolated from the "normal" gene on the stalk, then it could be possible. I just find that it's a bit hectic, and, hey, I haven't yet seen a case of this. My guess is just theoretical.

Oh, and about the no offense: none taken.

We all make our mistakes!

But other people always correct us!

Well, sometimes...

Always!

Sometimes!

Always!...

:jester:

Back