What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I received a bare root B-52 VFT earlier this summer. It was in pretty bad shape when I got it and it only got worse. I planted it in a mixture of peat, sand, perlite and a bit of LFS and watered it with rainwater or distilled water from the lab where I work. It gets about six hours of direct sunlight a day. All my other VFTs are doing very well under the exact same conditions. A couple of weeks ago I dug it up, tore off the dead parts, spilt the rhizome in two and replanted the two parts. There are no large leaves and each plant is beginning to produce quite a few small traps. Question is should I let them go through dormancy this year or get them under bright fluorescent lights ASAP to prevent dormancy this year and let it go dormant next year?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Scott

For me, you should skip the dormancy this year. These are young recovering plants, and this way you will speed up the growth.

Thanks for the input. If I was smart I would have put them in different pots and given one a dormancy and the second one lights all winter. Now I need to look into lighting!

An additional alternative would be to grow them under lights for the next up to five or six months and when you are satisfied with their progress put them where they could experience dormancy for 3 months or so. I have several vfts I grow indoors and by growing them under lights and putting them in a cool, dimly-lit window sill for only 3 months a year of dormancy I can get more growth out of them in a year than my outdoor plants can manage.

Back