What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you do with the rhizome?

Cindy

Staff member
I've put the B52 plants to sleep and removed a couple of rhizomes without any leaves. I've potted them up and placed them under T5 lights.

What would you do if you have rhizomes like the following? Would you stuff the whole thing into media and hope for new growth? Or would you peel the bulb leaf by leaf and hope for growth on every piece?

B52_rhizome1_zps42f6e140.jpg

A friend sent me a bunch of rhizomes and I just broke them up into sections with 1-2 petiole reminants and then potted in the peat sand mix. Next couple if months they became a bunch of B-52s

I have done both: keep them whole and split them. As can be imagined, the smaller pieces were less reliable in terms of sprouting and the larger chunks flowered more quickly.

Oh, the choices!

Thanks everyone!

One of the pieces is already putting out green growth so I decided to split some of the rest into smaller pieces for experiment...hehehe...

About 5 weeks, two of the rhizomes planted are producing very visible shoots!

The new shoots on the rhizome cuttings at 9 weeks are now like young plants and even have their own roots!

Are those just laying in Live LFS, or do you have them under 100% humidity as well?

Just lying in live sphagnum moss. The plants are at my balcony so the ventilation is very good.

Back