What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lighting and dormant flytraps

Cant seem to be able to find a solid answer on lighting and dormancy I guess what im looking to find out how critical light is during winter dormancy. Im in ny and its not unusal to see subzero temperatures so year round outdoor growth is not possible. If a flytrap gets hit with a good frost and is defoliated I would assume a dark cool winter wouldn't hurt? I don't have much room for artificial lighting and the South facing window stays too warm inside. Any suggestions

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Temp and airflow are much more important during dormancy. Alot of people actually put plants in a fridge for dormancy. So if you can find a nice cool place to store them with any light at all, you should be just fine.

I wouldn't worry to much about it. Temp and airflow are much more important during dormancy. Alot of people actually put plants in a fridge for dormancy. So if you can find a nice cool place to store them with any light at all, you should be just fine.

+1

If you put it somewhere dark, you should check it periodically to make sure it doesn't get fungus, which can happen if they are kept too wet and there is no air circulation.

We have no winter here and many of us give the temperate CPs "dry dormancy". The plants are placed at a shady place for 2-3 months with minimal watering (ambient humidity is high). Personally, I've done it for VFT and it works. Currently, the Calopogon tuberosus is undergoing the same treatment. The tubers remain green and seem to be getting larger in dormancy...even with the low light level.

Sounds great thanks guys for clearing this up for me. I just love straight forward answers. Thanks again

Just as everyone else said, lighting isn't really too important during the winter. My flytraps are sitting in my garage right now, I just periodically check them for fungus spray them with a fungicide, add some water to their tray if it's empty but that's about it. The big thing is watching for fungus.

Hi! I put my flytraps and two sarrs in dormancy to our basement first day of September and I wonder if I could bring them out. They have been there over 5 months... I have 2x18W daylight lights because we still dont have spring here. Temps around -10C and days are 8 hours long.

Sorry kinda off topic :/

Hi! I put my flytraps and two sarrs in dormancy to our basement first day of September and I wonder if I could bring them out. They have been there over 5 months... I have 2x18W daylight lights because we still dont have spring here. Temps around -10C and days are 8 hours long.

Sorry kinda off topic :/

o_O -10? That's pretty low here in chicago I only bring my plants in the garage because temps go below 10F for long periods of time. 5 months is a long time but that's around how long mine are in dormancy maybe even 6 months December through May. Do you plan on growing them under lights or something?

We had nights down to -25C last month.. Thats called Finland, yeah. Im not planning to grow them indoors but I thought that since they have been so long time dormant should it harm them. Last year I took them from basement around this time and my sarrs grew all wonky leaves because they didnt have enought light. Not going to repeat that but since our winter takes 6 months I can not do it "all american style" I think :blush:

My plants (VFT's and Sarrs) go into their "winter dormancy spot" (a basement stairwell) every year right around November 1st.
That is the end of Autumn and the start of Winter in Western NY.

I used to bring them out of dormancy in the middle of February, which was 3.5 months of dormancy..
long enough for the plants, but not long enough for Winter in these parts! ;)
In mid-February, Winter isnt even thinking about being done..Winter lasts 5 months..
It is the entire months of November, December, January, February, and March.

Bringing the plants out of dormancy in mid-February has been less than ideal, because the plants are then
forced to come out of dormancy indoors..where it is FAR too dark, even in the brightest windows I have..

So a few years ago I tried a new experiment: simply leaving the plants alone, dormant, in their "Fridge Method" basement stairwell,
until they can go outside! which is usually early April..Thats 5 solid months of dormancy! longer than they need,
but it hasnt harmed them..I think I have been doing it this way for 2 or three winters now..its working!
and im going to do it again for this spring..

Details on my dormancy methods:

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page5c.html

Scot

I really like your website. Your plant have come a long way! Is it not updated anymore? The Sarracenia minor at the end reminded me of the one I had for a few years. It never flowered for me though. 5 months is a really long dormancy! I think my plants are dormant for at most 3 months.

I really like your website. Your plant have come a long way! Is it not updated anymore? The Sarracenia minor at the end reminded me of the one I had for a few years. It never flowered for me though. 5 months is a really long dormancy! I think my plants are dormant for at most 3 months.

Thanks!
no, I dont update it every year..
although this spring will be my 20th year of growing CP's! :)
So I was thinking of adding a new page this year, just to take a look at the collection in year number 20.
So, I might add a new page! not a lot is new though since the last update in 2008/2009.
my collection has basically stabilized to some favorite plants, and I dont want it to get any bigger..
in fact, I wouldn't mind if it was a touch smaller..I might have some plants to trade this spring..

Scot

Back