What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby venus flytraps.

I was checking my moss trays for new growth, when I found 2-3 bright green venus flytraps the size of a nickel. They are in pure LFS under a 4x2000 lumens grow set up, moss is live and is watered from the side so that the enclosure is nearly flooded. Is this a good setup for them, and how should I transplant them for the winter? I also have no idea what species/strain they are, but the moss came from a bog in Virginia. I didn't plant the seeds, so I think that whatever they came from is used to growing partially submerged like that.

...I also have no idea what species/strain they are, but the moss came from a bog in Virginia. I didn't plant the seeds, so I think that whatever they came from is used to growing partially submerged like that.

Don't worry about what cultivar they are, since most flytraps grow in pretty much the same conditions. If they came from the wild, they're definitely just the typical flytraps.

Being partially submerged is fine for them (they're bog plants, after all).

As for the seedlings themselves, I have rather limited experience in that particular field (since I only have, like, two), but from my own observations of them, I would say to avoid shocking them too much during transplantation and to try to keep the leaves alive. It's good that you're already planning out what you'll do for them during winter.

What do you mean by keep the leaves alive? My other VTF did badly in the past so I'm not quite sure how to go about managing it. I know not to damage them, ect, but sunlight requirements and soil are still kinda off.

Edits; I've heard conflicting guides. Some people said that LFS needs more water than the trap does, some people said use the tray method with drying in between, and others said keep the tray full.

Last edited:
Dionaea definitely needs it wet, but not swampy. If the water level is too high, the plant's rhizome can very easily rot.

Get them out of the Sphagnum, as the moss can overgrow small seedlings, and grow them in a tall pot in about .25" - .50" of water.

What do you mean by keep the leaves alive?...

I mean that during dormancy, don't let it get too cold and kill the leaves. It's not too bad if they die, but in my experience it's better to have a head start when they start growing again.

Dionaea definitely needs it wet, but not swampy. If the water level is too high, the plant's rhizome can very easily rot.

Get them out of the Sphagnum, as the moss can overgrow small seedlings, and grow them in a tall pot in about .25" - .50" of water.

I've been pushing the moss aside, and I stop watering when the level comes up to the lower down of the few seedlings. By the pot idea, you mean with nothing in it, right?

Back