What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What flytraps cannot trap?

What flytraps cannot catch food?

From what I gather, these cannot catch insects:
Wacky traps
Korean Melody Shark
Any fused tooth traps
Any ultra large traps
Angel Wings
Cup type traps

What others have difficulty catching their own food?

Some can be fed (and "massaged") in order to use their traps, are there any that don't have use of their traps even to feed?

I haven't noticed that any of my larger varieties like 'B52' or 'King Henry' have any trouble capturing prey.

Some really bad ones that come to mind though are 'Alien', 'Angelwings', 'Biohazard', 'Coquillage', 'Fondue', "Galaxy", "Hot Kiss", 'Master of Disaster', 'Microdent', "Monkey A$$", "Pacman", "Pom Pom", 'Red Fused Petiole', 'Short Teeth', "Tremor", 'Trichterfalle', 'Triton' and 'Umgekrempeit'. There are also many more with defective traps including a few completely trapless clones like "Dr. No Trap".

Why most of these are not culled immediately is beyond my reckoning.

Last edited:
The Really Large traps have no problem imo.

I've had Dionaea 'Cupped Trap' catch things on its own with no outside assistance.

I've got Korean Melody Shark and it can trap prey just fine.

Korean melody shark, fuzzy tooth and cupped trap can catch insects . Wacky traps can close its trap but takes a long time and insects can escape easily
Cheers

Super big traps can function like any normal flytraps. But there's some case where the traps release insects that are really small as it is not worth digesting- more energy consumed digesting than to reap from the insects

'Cupped Trap' close slower than "normal" traps so there is a higher escape rate.

I think Pom Pom can't catch anything either

Watch how this bug walked all over the flytrap and stumps on its self esteem

I heard warewolf has no trigger hairs so it doesnt trap insects
I think they also have a VFT called rose or something like that that has no traps at ALL just leaves! I gatta find what its called and put its proper name. But in my expirence any vft thst is cup shapped has a slower response time when hairs are tickled. I hand feed the vft cup traps and tritcherfall plants with the kids to ensure it closes on time. Sometimes i have to manually rub the trap between my 2 fingers to insure it closes completely and doesnt re-open at a later time.

Just wanted to share a couple of photos defending Korean Melody Shark's honor. . .

You don't need teeth to eat I guess!

I heard warewolf has no trigger hairs so it doesnt trap insects
I think they also have a VFT called rose or something like that that has no traps at ALL just leaves!
I recently read this (about Werewolf) on another forum:
Most of Werewolf traps don't produce any trigger hair but the one that do may close if there are stimulated for long period of time.

And I found a VFT var. that does not produce traps. Meet Dr no trap:
Dionaea-muscipula-Dr-No-trap-1.jpg

Just wanted to share a couple of photos defending Korean Melody Shark's honor. . .
You don't need teeth to eat I guess!
Real cool, I always liked the look of them, nice to know they can feed. I really don't have interest in a VFT that can't feed. Thanks for sharing the photos!

Last edited:
Yea Dr. No trap is one of the trapless vars their is another one called 'rose' something or other that has no traps either... I don't find it exciting to see a VFT with no Traps maybe thats just my pet peeve lol

WHaaa, I've only heard of Dr. no traps but never have I seen one. What exactly is the point of this "VFT" ???

I haven't noticed that any of my larger varieties like 'B52' or 'King Henry' have any trouble capturing prey.

Some really bad ones that come to mind though are 'Alien', 'Angelwings', 'Biohazard', 'Coquillage', 'Fondue', "Galaxy", "Hot Kiss", 'Master of Disaster', 'Microdent', "Monkey *****", "Pacman", "Pom Pom", 'Red Fused Petiole', 'Short Teeth', "Tremor", 'Trichterfalle', 'Triton' and 'Umgekrempeit'. There are also many more with defective traps including a few completely trapless clones like "Dr. No Trap".

Why most of these are not culled immediately is beyond my reckoning.
According to a vendor of VFTs who was talking about these on his forum, alien actually is a surprisingly successful hunter, it closes so slowly that bugs don't realize that there's a problem until it is way too late

Back