What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Horror...The Horror (of Mutant Flytraps)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't noticed that any of my larger varieties like 'B52' or 'King Henry' have any trouble capturing prey.

Some really bad ones that come to mind though are 'Alien', 'Angelwings', 'Biohazard', 'Coquillage', 'Fondue', "Galaxy", "Hot Kiss", 'Master of Disaster', 'Microdent', "Monkey A$$", "Pacman", "Pom Pom", 'Red Fused Petiole', 'Short Teeth', "Tremor", 'Trichterfalle', 'Triton' and 'Umgekrempeit'. There are also many more with defective traps including a few completely trapless clones like "Dr. No Trap".

Why most of these are not culled immediately is beyond my reckoning.

Here here Johnny

I must admit that I do chuckle when I see Dr No Traps advertised for around 40€ and described as a must have when all you really need is standard type and a pair of scissors.

I haven't noticed that any of my larger varieties like 'B52' or 'King Henry' have any trouble capturing prey.

Some really bad ones that come to mind though are 'Alien', 'Angelwings', 'Biohazard', 'Coquillage', 'Fondue', "Galaxy", "Hot Kiss", 'Master of Disaster', 'Microdent', "Monkey A$$", "Pacman", "Pom Pom", 'Red Fused Petiole', 'Short Teeth', "Tremor", 'Trichterfalle', 'Triton' and 'Umgekrempeit'. There are also many more with defective traps including a few completely trapless clones like "Dr. No Trap".

Why most of these are not culled immediately is beyond my reckoning.

I find it humorous that somebody with such disdain for these vegan flytraps has one of the more extensive off-the-top-of-the-head recollections of so many different defunct clones.

Hehe totally beyond me why anyone would pay for those abominations, but each to their own. Makes me wonder what great looking plants get thrown on the compost to make room for more crud

Last edited:
I find it humorous that somebody with such disdain for these vegan flytraps has one of the more extensive off-the-top-of-the-head recollections of so many different defunct clones.

I actually tend to pay more attention to the ones I hate than the ones I like. For one thing, I'd like to try and NOT end up with one of those in my collection haphazardly via trade or something. Know your enemy, I guess. Another reason is the fact that some people actually WANT these nightmares. It fascinates me that somebody would actively hunt down and pay top dollar for plants like 'Korean Melody Shark' or "Dr. No Traps".

Last edited:
I actually tend to pay more attention to the ones I hate than the ones I like. For one thing, I'd like to try and NOT end up with one of those in my collection haphazardly via trade or something. Know your enemy, I guess. Another reason is the fact that some people actually WANT these nightmares. It really blows my mind that somebody would actively hunt down and pay top dollar for plants like 'Korean Melody Shark' or "Dr. No Traps".

The same could be said about tiny or bizarre dog breeds, phoenix/polish chickens, or piebald reptiles - they no longer function correctly in the ecological niche that they evolved in due to our selective breeding. Heck. . . the same could be said even within our own species. Global domestication of species doesn't appear to be slowing down any. . .

I, for one, could do without most of the bizarre flytrap strains, but I do find Korean Melody Shark somewhat attractive in its own right.

Someone threw a 'Korean Melody Shark' in with a bunch of Sarracenia they sent me a couple of years back. I tossed it into the street while planting the Sarracenia.

Last edited:
Here here Johnny

I must admit that I do chuckle when I see Dr No Traps advertised for around 40€ and described as a must have when all you really need is standard type and a pair of scissors.

I like that Fred. Top Tip ! :-))
*pops off to behead all my vft's and get them on the bay asap*

Last edited:
Here here Johnny

Truly puzzling. Truly, truly puzzling........

I actually tend to pay more attention to the ones I hate than the ones I like. For one thing, I'd like to try and NOT end up with one of those in my collection haphazardly via trade or something. Know your enemy, I guess. Another reason is the fact that some people actually WANT these nightmares. It really blows my mind that somebody would actively hunt down and pay top dollar for plants like 'Korean Melody Shark' or "Dr. No Traps".
I don't know Johnny, if I could get one in trade for what I think it's worth I would. Cruel as it sounds to some PT Barnum was right, there really is a sucker born every minute. Having one of those would make them really easy to find.

I don't know Johnny, if I could get one in trade for what I think it's worth I would. Cruel as it sounds to some PT Barnum was right, there really is a sucker born every minute. Having one of those would make them really easy to find.

I refuse to play a hand in distributing these abominations. I'd rather throw the plant away than pass it along. I have a typical looking flytrap that puts out a few trapless seedlings every year from it's self pollinated flowers. As soon as they are discovered they are culled. I guess my particular code of ethics overrides any potential greed.

Well Johnny I think one would look right at home in your cabinet next to the two headed duckling:-D. Do some of them even fit the species description, venus fly not trapped

Well Johnny I think one would look right at home in your cabinet next to the two headed duckling:-D. Do some of them even fit the species description, venus fly not trapped

Sure, maybe dead in a jar of formalin as sort of a natural curiosity !

Sure, maybe dead in a jar of formalin as sort of a natural curiosity !

Grow one out and press it! The joy of crushing it would have to offset at least some of the pain of looking at it while it's growing! Harvesting and crushing it could make a really good U Tube video if the right people saw it!

Last edited:
I refuse to play a hand in distributing these abominations. I'd rather throw the plant away than pass it along. I have a typical looking flytrap that puts out a few trapless seedlings every year from it's self pollinated flowers. As soon as they are discovered they are culled. I guess my particular code of ethics overrides any potential greed.

I take your point, it feels better to profit from catering to the better side of people's natures than their stupidity. But since Iook at plants as a hobby, and am also a keen student of human nature and motivation, to me trading such a plant to someone who places high value upon it would be like getting paid to watch a horror movie. And I like horror movies!

A trapless vft? Truly can't see the point. If vft foliage was particularly attractive or interesting in its own right -- like that of a Coleus or Ludisia -- that would be one thing. But their foliage sans traps is nothing if unremarkable.

The foliage is actually less attractive than normal varieties. Can't even believe these plants are being propagated.......

The foliage is actually less attractive than normal varieties. Can't even believe these plants are being propagated.......
I can see how it actually would have a certain cachet amongst vegans. I mean if there's such a thing as vegan cat food..........

I can see how it actually would have a certain cachet amongst vegans. I mean if there's such a thing as vegan cat food..........

The world has lost it's mind.

Someone threw a 'Korean Melody Shark' in with a bunch of Sarracenia they sent me a couple of years back. I tossed it into the street while planting the Sarracenia.

Well done. One down, how many more to go?
Friends don't let friends buy garbage mutant Dionaea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back