What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

False Vivipary VFT

Thought I'd share. I got this from Lowe's over the winter on sale and stuck it in a terrarium until I could get it in the bog. I saw this today.

I know I've heard of this happening before, I was wondering how uncommon it is though? And if anyone has any experience with separating the traps and getting them to root.

Last edited:
Interesting! Had never seen that before with vfts.

Rather bummed, lost mine this spring. Ah, well. At least they are fairly common and inexpensive.

Nice! I have seen this with my VFT in the bog from time to time, so can't be that uncommon. This is what I do: Cut the flower stalk just below each plantlet, stick them in peat or whatever mix you use with the base of the plantlets just below the surface, and they will form roots and grow. I know others who float them in water or on wet LFS with good results. You can propagate VFT from any part of the plant including the flower stalks.

is this natural? What causes it?

Last edited:
I am not sure what causes it, but stress may play a role as I have noticed this on VFT I have moved, divided, or otherwise disturbed when actively growing in spring, but does not happen that often to ones I have disturbed though. Sudden condition changes may cause stress/confusion in them? At times we get freak cold/frost periods in spring after the VFT have come out of dormancy and the temps have been warm for a while.

I have seen this happen on Drosera filiformis when the flower stalks have been left on long after the flowers and seeds are gone. Same family, after all.

As I recall I think it was Ed Read that said either D. 'Red Piranha' or D. 'Jaws' was prone to this.

You'll have to forgive me I know little about this sort of thing, but is this most common on recently tissue cultured plants or just a general occasional occurrence.
Cheers
Steve

It's a fairly common occurance. I see it well established Dionaea, Drosera and Heliamphora in my collection from time to time.

You get false vivipiary on helis? Wow haven't seen that before, now that's cool lol

I've never tried rooting any.

Hmm I wonder if it would work, I haven't heard of people trying leaf pullings of helis so maybe they wouldn't root at all

No idea. I've had single leaf, rootless divisions take root for me a few times. Might be possible.

Wow thats super interesting, do u mind if i share this photo with the kids in my program ? I dont think ive ever seen this happen on a VFT. We do have a drosera spathulata that is doing this from one of its flower stalks growing 2 tiny rosettes from the top where the flowers should be! I wish i had a photo to post ill have to take one tomorrow and post it here!! Really cool, thanks for sharing

Back