What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Top dressing with live sphagnum

I haven't seen many, if any, pictures of vfts with live sphagnum as a top dressing on the substrate. Does it grow too fast for the vft to keep up? I think the live sphagnum looks better than rehydrated dried sphagnum and the darn birds seem to take the dried sphagnum and dig up the vfts!

Scott

Most people don't grow flytraps in LFS due to the fact that flytraps don't seem to like it very much. Top dressings with live sphagnum shouldn't be an issue though, other than 2 reasons I can think of: flytraps like full sun, and the sphagnum sometimes can be dried or burnt by the same lighting, and yes the flytraps may be overgrown by the larger varieties.

The one older plant that I have growing with a live Sphagnum top dressing and dried Sphagnum throughout, and has actually been doing well (even for me intentionally growing it this way for personal observations). It has been growing this way since November. In this case the Sphagnum does grow faster than the flytrap, and I don't remove any moss. That being said, the flytrap ends up with slightly longer petioles to stay above the moss. I do have to keep this sitting in 3-4" of water to keep the moss from drying out.

Dionaea muscipula by Adam B., on Flickr

I actually believe that VFTs enjoy growing in live sphagnum. Only issue as as mentioned, the sphagnum will choke the plants sometimes. U need to be vigilent and pick away the LFS to prevent it smothering the plant. But for the most part, it is a fantastic easy substrate to use for growing VFTs.

17089615602_7b0e18a116_h.jpg

I'll see if I can get the sphagnum moss to grow as a top dressing with my vfts. I didn't really think about the fact that the vfts like a drier substrate than Saracenias so it might not work well for the sphagnum moss. Thanks for the input!
Scott

Last edited:
My Dionaea shared the Sarracenia lagoons for years. Last autumn ( fall) I removed them all to their own section which I keep just as wet.
I wouldn't envisage a problem if you look after the Sphagnum.

Back