What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thieves or cleanup crew?

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
Bog ants all over VFT. I have see them flood sarracenia pitchers, but this is a first for me on the VFT, haha.

https://flic.kr/p/uUkjUe

Last edited:
The link doesn't seem to be working.

It seems to be working for me now, try it again and let me know.

Last edited:
I really don't like ants on VFTs. If there is a part of an insect sticking out of a trap they will bite apart the whole trap to get too it.

Any idea what they were after? I've seen ants caught in my flytraps before but never a group of them like that.

With all the ants we have this year, I'm surprised I have seen any of this on my plants. Cool video, DJ!

Cool video! Are those parakeets I hear?

I really don't like ants on VFTs. If there is a part of an insect sticking out of a trap they will bite apart the whole trap to get too it.

I don't mind the ants as they are a food source for the sarracenia when they fall into the pitchers while sucking up the nectar. I have not seen them tear up any traps, yet, and they seem to be happy just taking the insect parts sticking out of the traps.

Any idea what they were after? I've seen ants caught in my flytraps before but never a group of them like that.

They are harvesting the bug legs that were sticking out of the closed trap.

With all the ants we have this year, I'm surprised I have seen any of this on my plants. Cool video, DJ!

Thanx, glad you liked the video! We have a ton of ants this year also, even coming into the house!

Cool video! Are those parakeets I hear?

Thanx! No, I have nesting boxes taken over by sparrows and I think that is one of the babies you hear. I no longer have any parakeets.

Back