What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need a picture for refrence if anyone can help.

We let a few of our vft's flower this year to try are hand at crosding the different types together to sow the seed. I also collected a bunch of pollen samples from those types to aide in doing these crosses and i tickled and tickled till i tickled myself darn near crazy! Now that the flowers are closing im wanting to see if any of the attempts were viable to produce seed. So since im not sure what im looking for to see if our attempt is indeed successfull i wanted to know if anyone had a photo of a successful VFT flower 'pregnant' or preparing to make seeds to check if we managed to produce any seed crosses this year. It would be good to know if we can expect some seeds to sow or to attempt again next year and chop off the stalks that arent going to be worth keeping around.

We also did a few flower stalk cuttings to try proping but i havent seen much from them yet so the seeds would be a great activity to do together.

Thanks for all your replies and pictures or links

Thank you for the info its a good souce :)
I just wish it showed a picture of the swollen body of the flower producing seeds. So i kno what to look out for examinating the flowers that are curling up and dying back. Only one seems to look very different then the others so far so id like to kinda match up to see if that ones 'pregnant' or something worth showing the kids to note in their plant books when we next have a meeting. Thanks for the link hun :)

What flowered:
All green 'green goddess?'
Microdent
Jaws
Tim's Giant

And different flowers were pollinated with different variations of each flowering at the time of collected pollen and marked with different indicating marks on the stalk below the flower with a marker
I don't kno if they will all take but we are excited to see what comes from them, Normal or strange!

Anyone whose been thru this procedure before and can take a look at these to see if anything looks to be in the works, i kno theirs no guarantee these pictures show anything but just thought id take a chance to see if anyone could maybe see anything

20150621_170623-1.jpg

20150621_170621-1.jpg

Since many of the plants are borrowed for learning and growth and development notes and other educational purposes id really like to get some thing fun out of them for me and the kids :)

The squeeze test always works. Gently squeeze the capsule. If there are seeds in it it will feel firm, if not it will be soft. Dionaea muscipula seeds are large and black and if they can't be seen by the time the flower turns black then there are no seeds.

Do an image search on "Dionaea muscipula seeds" and there are plenty of photos of seeds still in the capsules.

Thanks for the info - how long do u think i would be able to feel anything from the time the flower curls it leaves till it would usually die off or produce seeds?

I guess ill do a little squeezing to see if i feel anything hard or whatnot.
I did a search but didnt find anything of the pre swollen buds just the seeds peeking out after theyve been cracked :)
But ill look around some more, thanks

YAY! Just collected some seeds from my VFT cross pollination attempt super excited!!

Back