What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing and Cloning B52 Venus Fly Traps

Mine were in 4" pots @ 0F

From your videos you have square pots crammed up next to each other so there is little air space between the pots. And the dead air space there is could act as insulation between pots. But regardless the net effect could be similar to a larger container. They are also enclosed and not exposed directly to wind and snow.

So why don't you put some of your pots outside the greenhouse free standing without protection from the wind and snow this coming winter. Less likely to survive doesn't mean they won't or can't survive.

terrarium growing is possible, but in my comparison it is more work than growing out doors. this is a example of a friend's set up.

The Horror! The Horror! Dionaea muscipula and Cephalotus follicularis grown in a terrarium/tank!

From your videos you have square pots crammed up next to each other so there is little air space between the pots. And the dead air space there is could act as insulation between pots. But regardless the net effect could be similar to a larger container. They are also enclosed and not exposed directly to wind and snow.

How rediculous

I don't kno maybe it's cause mine are in smaller pots and thats why they freeze during to cold of a winter. All i kno was last winter was horrendous and i was lucky i made it to the me place with plants at all! Now im very over protective during winter of the collections of plants i have, especially after the greenhouse sunporch was vandalized at my old place and lost tons of plants and supplies even a few Windows! Absolutely absurd someone would do such a thing but I'm sure it happens alot more then i would like to know.
Like i said my friend had his is -5°F weather and they had snow in the pots and everything and they came Back to life come spring. The lady i care for opens up a window and all my plants freeze to death and die ...just my luck i guess. I tried to save them and they eventually ended up in the dump cause they were growing mould and not showing signs of new growth for months.. It could have been that the pots were small and instead of bigger ones cause space is tight

Also for sake of argument I had a bunch of starts in a tray under a humidity dome. We hit a patch of very hot weather and I cooled a bunch of them. the ones that were out of the domes were fine. ......

Get picture KATastrophe, what variety are those nice deep red traps growing somewhat clumped?

To be honest they were labled as "dark maroon traps" idk if that's what they are really supposed to be called but the traps get really dark red with good light then In low light they still keep the dark red color but they start off light pinkish. Right now the newer traps aren't as dark as the old ones are cause we haven't had that many sunny days until recently

Back