What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

saw this and just kept shaking my head....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its kinda sad to me that anyone would do this let alone BELEIVE That this could even be possible..

MY BEST FLY TRAP EATS MY TOUNGE AND DRAWS BLOOD!!…: MY BEST FLY TRAP EATS MY TOUNGE AND DRAWS BLOOD!! GROSS!! - YouTube

Someone actually wrote a thing on it using this video as TRUTH in the matter i gatta find the link its completely head shake worthy

I'll see what y'all think about this..lol

Here's the link if u read the first part about VFTs u will literally wanna face palm yourself

Venus Flytraps Will Cut You If You Stick Your Tongue In Them, Plus 4 Other Plants That Can Hurt You

This is the best use of misinformation i could possibly see on the internet..well this....and that one about Venus fly traps being the fastest plant in the animal kingdom to catch antelope for prey....wtf, or something stupid like that lol

Last edited by a moderator:
lol, i saw the earring one, i wonder if you left it on for a day if it would begin digesting your ear lol

Well they say the mucus secreted is potent enough yo melt even human flesh.. Ive gotton it on my hands but never left it on long enough to test the theory..so i can only speculate that it may burn or something..

Well they say the mucus secreted is potent enough yo melt even human flesh.. Ive gotton it on my hands but never left it on long enough to test the theory..so i can only speculate that it may burn or something..

B. Rice tested the hypothesis that Venus Flytraps could digest human flesh by feeding two or three traps some of his own, harvested from infected tissue on his finger. While the traps died afterwards (likely from the animal-protein-rich flesh, rather than it's infected nature), the meat they had been working on was indeed dissolved, and looked rather like wads of snot when he cut them out of the blackening traps.

Wait - what? You are criticizing someone for propagating misinformation??

Oh! How about that one where you can't squish the flies before you feed them to the traps. That was a good one...or was it something about feeding 3 times in a week, can't remember.

My theory and experience in feeding my Venus fly traps squished flies is my own experience in the matter and never said it was FACT, and for y'all to dwell on my experience in the matter and my advice for feeding a weakened plant is beyond childish behaviour. I don't block y'all from my posts cause i like to read the information you give and contribute to others through your own personal experiences in growing and cultivating plants... But if your gonna be rude and put down others id rather you not comment or participate in my posts. I provided more then enough information and photos to support my experience in the matter and if that isn't good enough for y'all then nothing i say will ever be.

But to call me out on my experience and something that's been proven in my experiments on a post where a guy influences people to think VFTs will cut ppl with their cilla is absolutely ridiculous and NOT the same in the least! I didn't color my traps that contained squished flies with a black marker to try to make u beleive it would be true. And again a trap can only really be fed 4 times befor it dies off maybe more depending on the plants health and how long the traps been established i guess. I NEVER said the plant would die and that's my fault for assuming you understood what i meant but I've explained it far more then anyone else should have and yet again you go back to what i wasn't even talking about.

Thanks for that info zath I've read parts of that..Barry rice is on another forum im on and i enjoy reading his experiments on plants :) kinda funny it would cause the traps to turn black, I've heard of ppl feeding their traps skin and blood..i think I'll stick to bugs for mine.. Though i am having a mold problem if they eat freezedried blood worms..which is strange cause doesn't happen every time... I gatta do some testing on that situation.

But anyways...this guy who made this video who sounds like 'salad fingers' has other videos aswell trying to show how deadly they are.. Its almost as bad as the 'Charlie' videos on YouTube entertaining YES but not truth. Plus, i can't stand how many times i have to tell kids or pple i met who see my VFTs that the 'Charlie' videos are done with decapitated traps not a REAL vft plant...ahrg!

Ummmm...if it isn't a FACT, then its of no value to broadcast it as if it were a fact. That's all there is to it.

I was not necessarily commenting on your expression of experience. I did that initially in the original thread and was promptly ignored, along with a number of other people attempting to explain to you reasons for your experience and why the expression of your results may not have been true. Nothing was proven in your experiments, and that still stands.

I was merely commenting on the hypocrisy in this situation though. However, you're stubborn refusal to see reason when explained to you by others with more experience and understanding, constant contradictions, and blatant hypocrisy make it very difficult to not question your posts.

I NEVER said the plant would die and that's my fault for assuming you understood what i meant but I've explained it far more then anyone else should have and yet again you go back to what i wasn't even talking about.

If u feed more then 3 a week or so the plant could die.

Whim if we were all ONLY posting FACTs then their would be no point to share information with others because many people use their own success from their own experiences and share them with others. Someone may have success with planting drosera in water, may work for them and a few others but doesn't work for me or some other people.

Again Axel i took your information and proved that in my case that that wasn't the reason on WHY only the traps with squished flies turned black. I have done other tests on my experience in the matter and have only come back with the results i have shared from my experience... Im also attempting it again with more plants in the same condition of the same size and age and am noting the same results i had the other time i did the experiment. Commenting on my thread about something that isn't at all close to what i was doing in my expiriment I've done on my plants isn't necessary.

All information and study/experimental and advice is based on another persons experience in the matter and is shared by those who it works for, yet whatever i share is 'misinformation' to others because certain people don't think my experience in anything matters. my VFTs are healthy and happy currently and awaiting dormancy except for the ones ill currently testing yet again for my own personal study, but anything i choose to share should have the same consideration as anyone else's experience/experiments in the matter of Whatever the situation its about, not blatantly put down and pulled apart.

I always share my thoughts, advice, experiences and information where i have also went through similar or the same situation.. And i Almost always mention that my experience os my own and something's don't work for others and are different according to their location, temps, growth conditions and overall health of their plant/s and medium used... And that what works for me may not work for others but is shared because you never know whati works until u try it for yourself. But i don't go around misinforming people or say anything that could possible harm or hurt their plant in any way, shape or form.

But I should not have to keep defending my own experiences in caring for my own plants or the advice i give to others from my own expiriences.
I didnt post this thread to be called a hypocrite i posted this to share to novice growers to not beleive everything they read or see and to take it with a grain of salt. Reguardless how wrong the information above is. The last thing we need is kids or others gettinh started in collecting and cultivating CPs is to think something like this could even be true let alone have them attempting to spread this around to others who may think its true. If he honestly got a cut on his tounge from his VFTs cilla thats one thing but to falsify such a thing and try to pull it off as it really happened is completely different then sharing information and their own expiriences in a situation.

Im done with people who arent willing to give, share and receive info/advice to ppl without being civil to someone reguardless of what they personally think of the person/s writing the thread or responding to a thread for any reason. If we all cant have a fun, safe and civil place to share our own personal expiriences, expiriments, results, advice, thoughts and information about our plants without getting put down or picked apart then whats the point in having a community like this to come to?

Last edited:
I did not provide any information to prove why the traps did turn black. I took a different approach and tried to explain to you why your conclusions were not, as you put it now, fact. Either you never bothered to stop and reason out what I wrote or you simply never read it. Either way just shows ignorance through the whole situation.

I never said that everything you share is misinformation but it seems to have happened repeatedly. More important is how you react when others try to offer a correction if something is indeed false. Humbly admitting a mistake is taken much better than attempting to deceive your way further into things. Not every experience should necessarily be offered up as advice. I have a N. x ventrata that I beat the hell out of but it pitchers, vines, and grows like a champ overall. I'm not gonna start telling people to grow their Nepenthes that way, even another ventrata. Primarily, you need to keep your audience in mind. If you're talking to an experienced grower and offer up an unconventional method, that will be received better than doing so with a newbie. It may be something that doesn't often apply in other conditions, which can lead to dead plants, and there is nothing more discouraging to a new grower than dead plants.

I saw that video well before that news article bought into the BS. Then and now the majority of comments appear to be laughing at what was clearly meant to be a joke, playing into it with outrageous responses, or just calling out that its fake. I don't believe that is very harmful. It is a youtube video, not cultivation information on a forum where people come to seek advice.

Is this really worth all the effort to type more than thirteen words?

Probably not.

Last edited:
For context, I would like to cite the following post from August (emphasis mine):

How many traps did u feed. If u feed more then 3 a week or so the plant could die. Id also check if roots are hanging out of the bottom of the pot vfts don't like wet roots all the time. And it could be acclimating to ur temp but could also be ur watering with the wrong water aswell.

Which brings us to this:

Whim if we were all ONLY posting FACTs then their would be no point to share information with others because many people use their own success from their own experiences and share them with others.

All information and study/experimental and advice is based on another persons experience in the matter and is shared by those who it works for, yet whatever i share is 'misinformation' to others because certain people don't think my experience in anything matters. (Edit) but anything i choose to share should have the same consideration as anyone else's experience/experiments in the matter of Whatever the situation its about, not blatantly put down and pulled apart.

If the results of a carefully thought out experiment are interpreted carelessly ( or misinterpreted completely) then the "results" are meaningless and -if propagated to the readership - it is misinformation. Sound scientific method leads to facts. Your "experiments" generally seem to lack structure and the results appear to be heavily guided by confirmation bias thinking. Your original statement (above) which suggests that feeding a Dionaea more than three insects a week could kill the plant is bizarre to say the least. You do not provide any context for that statement nor attribution for the origin of the concept (Barry Rice is the author you're citing, and that is NOT an accurate interpretation of his message!) and the conclusion you arrived at is inaccurate. By offering the "Three Meals Kills" advice, you are propagating misinformation.

If your "advice" was based on sound scientific data; the result of careful observation of meaningful, structured investigation, you would be afforded due respect and consideration. However, it's become standard to witness a lot of misleading and/or ill-founded "advice" coming from you, and wading through it these past months has been troublesome and tedious, and done solely to prevent novices from imbibing incomplete or misleading information.

And HOW many times did i say it was supposed to say "Plant TRAPS.." and was corrected like 20 times after i re read the mistake.. along with many of my other phone typing issues i have to correct using Swype on the phone i have. Yet even after i corrected what i was meaning to say regarding my personal experience in dealing with a weakened state of a VFT trying to acclimate to its new enviornment, ya'll still bring it up again and again instead of taking ot as what it was a Mistype..which happens from time to time with many people and when I'm busy i don't bother proof reading everything until i can come back to it, but why just take it as it is when y'all can use it over and over again to try and make yourselves feel like you have a reason to treat me like you do.

You can say whatever you want - ice hard it all before from all of you its nothing new to me. But if you don't want me paying on your threads then i ask you NOT to post on mine. Whether you agree with what's on their or not it's not your place to tell me if what works for me is wrong or not.

And Axel i did read what you wrote you talked about how i could have gotton a false positive or an experimental error could have occurred because A true experiment would likely be done with different conditions and the conclusion would be taken from the most supporting evidence in the expiriment.
But..when I've done this expiriment 4 times now (5) and have gotton the same results with it no matter what temp, time, lighting, weather, month and feedings and only have had issues with flies who've had their guts outside of their body when trapped and digested then i come to the conclusion that im not gonna feed my VFTs squished flies anymore.. And since then I've had no issues..until I've attempted to do another expiriment during cooler weather before they begin dormancy to see if anything changes..and so far still upholding the same result. Again like I've only said a million times this is my experience and my expiriment on the matter others can feel free to try it on their own and record anything's see fit - i share what works for me just like everyone else does.

And HOW many times did i say it was supposed to say "Plant TRAPS.." and was corrected like 20 times after i re read the mistake.. along with many of my other phone typing issues i have to correct using Swype on the phone i have. Yet even after i corrected what i was meaning to say regarding my personal experience in dealing with a weakened state of a VFT trying to acclimate to its new enviornment, ya'll still bring it up again and again instead of taking ot as what it was a Mistype.

If the original statement persists (I was able to quote it, so its still there) without correction, then its still a statement of misinformation. We have the ability to edit our posts, and so perhaps that's what you ought to do - if you want to be taken seriously.

Clearly you did not understand what I said then...Essentially, there is likely a factor within the experiment, bias interpreting results, or environmental error that is contributing to your false conclusion. Your stubborn ignorance just continues to try to bury your way deeper into things without realizing that it's not fooling anyone. I fed a couple traps squished flies and they stayed green and healthy. I just disproved all 5 of your experiments.

And these "mistypes" seem to happen too frequently and in too much detail to be mere mistakes all the time. Before you start spreading poorly worded or bad information perhaps you should be bothering to check your words before posting cultivation info. Make sure you worded things correctly and include all information to clarify your statement. And actually yes, it is the rest of the community's job to correct and comment on shared information. That is one of the entire purposes of a forum such as this. Sometimes it promotes discussion, sometimes arguments, sometimes nothing at all. It is on all of us to accept comments and not try to weasel our way to acceptance.

And yes, learn the edit button, especially when you are sharing a "mistype" in one of the first posts of a thread.

Oh and the original statement about feeding 3 times a week still comes across as complete garbage even with your proposed corrections. Here is the original correction you made:

And again i was saying if u feed the plant more then 3 times a week (in a single trap) the trap WILL die if not become unresponsive and stop triggering to close.

Please tell me, how do you feed a single trap 3 times in one week if it takes roughly a week for the trap to digest it's prey and reopen. Even on the conservative side of several days this would be pretty difficult.

Last edited:
If your "advice" was based on sound scientific data; the result of careful observation of meaningful, structured investigation, you would be afforded due respect and consideration. However, it's become standard to witness a lot of misleading and/or ill-founded "advice" coming from you, and wading through it these past months has been troublesome and tedious, and done solely to prevent novices from imbibing incomplete or misleading information.

Kat, you must understand that EVERYTHING posted is archived, and saved for anyone to see. A single keyword..
say perhaps.. Vft, or fly trap. Thats a term many new growers and nocives will use. Theres a great possibility that this thread, or any other one will show up when someone searches using that keyword. (I Hope one wouldnt come up with false info.)
You MUST proof read and make SURE that everything is correct. A single typo will throw the entire conversation off, even if its corrected. Now,
even though you said that you corrected it and so forth, people are still talking about how you said/made a typo about killing a trap after 3 catches or whatever.
Even though it was corrected, the idea still lives on and gets kicked around.

What im saying is, that This is EXACTLY how mis-information breeds and spreads. Typos MUST be non existent, as even the SLIGHTEST
bit of confusion will lead to mis information. People will spread the new mis-information around, and make it something that is conceived to be true, and all the effort of past
growers trying to cleanse myth and rumor from the hobbie's effort will be FOR NOTHING!
The human mind DOES NOT take much to make it forget, or tweak information. Typos really help this process.

Also, Terraforums (from MY personal standpoint and viewing) the most prestigious and active CP growing community on the net
with the most skilled and intelligent in the field. IT also happens to be one of the last strongholds of knowledge (if not the only)
about in-depth Carnivorous plant information.(and assorted succulents, tropicals, etc.) SO MOST OF THE TIME
people searching on the internet about these plants will come here.
SO DO NOT LET ANY chance of mis information have even the slightest possibility to get by!!
We need to keep the reputation of these hallowed grounds untarnished, and keep the myths
and legends of plant cultivation dead in the ground. Not resurrect them.

(I honestly dont think anyone under 3-4 years experience should be preaching their methods.
This is the reason I post SPARINGLY, yet actively haunt about the forums.)

Even if its just what has worked for you,
PLEASE take the time to ACCURATELY detail these experiments. Im talking Environmental factors, water ppm, time of day,
correlations between whatever it is that you measure, because something isnt adding up. Its just more misinformation.

so in short, PLEASE DONT GRAFFITI THE ROCKS.

Last edited:
Just in case you still think it's no big deal Kat, allow me to cite one of the forum rules, which you have so blatantly disregarded:

• Think before you post. If there is something that you want to add to the conversation, great, but read what you have written before you post it in a public forum. Make your posts of a contributory nature; don’t waste forum space (for example, don’t post 10 smileys and nothing else). If you have a question, try using the search function first - your query might already have been answered previously.

Just in case you still think it's no big deal Kat, allow me to cite one of the forum rules, which you have so blatantly disregarded:

• Think before you post. If there is something that you want to add to the conversation, great, but read what you have written before you post it in a public forum. Make your posts of a contributory nature; don’t waste forum space (for example, don’t post 10 smileys and nothing else). If you have a question, try using the search function first - your query might already have been answered previously.

This rule hasn't really been enforced since 2006 or 2007. If we were to enforce it and delete the non-contributory posts most of the post count of many of the people participating in this thread would drop significantly and many threads would drop down to one or two posts.

Since you bring it up and this thread has been reported I'll just put it into moderation and deal with it later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back