What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Venus fly trap soil.

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I have some venus fly traps that I would like to re-pot this spring. Is spring the best time or summer to re-pot? What is the best mix? They are currently living in pure spagnum. They seem to be thriving in it. Is this optimal? I have one that is in a carnivorous soil mix that it came in. It is also thriving. The other's came in pure spagnum. What's your experience?

I grow mine in a 50/50 mix of sand and peat moss.

I also use 50/50, but if lfs is working, stick with that.

The best time to repot is right before they come out of dormancy when they will experience the least shock, although emergency repotting is possible throughout the whole year (but not recommended). Any of your mixes is fine (assuming that the "carnivorous soil mix" is good since the plants are still alive), although personally I prefer a 50:50 peat/sand mix since it's easy to clean from the roots during repotting, unlike Sphagnum. YMMV.

Your Mileage May Vary

Another question, if I were to cross my jaws fly trap with a b52 would I get a large plant that looked somewhat like a jaws. I think it probably wouldn't, but I'm curious. Also what the best way to sprout seeds. Should they be covered or exposed? Should they have a lot of light when their seedlings or should they be in relatively lower light?

Another question, if I were to cross my jaws fly trap with a b52 would I get a large plant that looked somewhat like a jaws. I think it probably wouldn't, but I'm curious.

You might, but there are an infinite number of unique genetic possibilities that could arise from any given cross.

That's what I thought, I still might try if I ever get a b52. How do you grow the seeds?

Sprinkle on the surface of moist media in warm and bright conditions, stratification isn't necessary to get very good germination. With fresh seed you should see germination within a few days.

Sounds easy enough. Are they harder to take through dormancy for their first five years? Which I believe is the time it takes for them to become mature.

Last edited:
This thread has good info on the topic. I've had seedlings survive overnight freezes down to 20F in the winter, but with mulch/snow protection.

Thanks for the thread. One more question. What type of nepenthes is that in your profile picture?

N. burkei x hamata, BE-3612 - a really wonderful cross! :)

Agreed. Thanks for answering my seemingly infinite questions. I'm sure I have many more.

Last edited:
A lot of it depends on your environment and how and how often you water your plants. Analysis of the soil in some natural locations show mature VFTs growing most commonly in almost pure sand. My personal experience is that these plants do best for me in pure Sphagnum peat moss.

Back