What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fly traps from seed

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I was thinking about harvesting some seeds from my vft's this year and growing the seeds. What is the best way to get them to germinate? Should I put them in full sun or the shade? Would they do well planted in a small pot with a water tray? Thanks in advance for your help.

I grow them the same way I grow adult flytraps except I keep them slightly more moist. I have always grown mine in full sun since if you start them in shade and then place in full sun you run the risk of burning them.

Thanks, I don't think I could get my fly traps more wet, as they are constantly in water trays when out of dormancy.

You should know that flytraps grow extremely slowly. You'll have to be very patient to grow them from seed. On the plus side they need no stratification.

You should know that flytraps grow extremely slowly. You'll have to be very patient to grow them from seed. On the plus side they need no stratification.
Yeah, I know. They take five years to mature. Luckily, mine are very happy in my climate.

Back