What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does this pot setup look okay?

I just finished repotting my VFTs and Sarr. Does everything look okay? Sorry that not all the pics are oriented right side up. I can't seem to fix that when uploading from my phone.

abm0s7.jpg

2en8hdu.jpg

2ynf4mw.jpg

k0qyqq.jpg

2wmeush.jpg

My only comment would be to ask if you ran out of peat, otherwise it's fine

That's the funny thing Fred, I put in a lot more peat than it looks like. But it all settled in when I watered it.

outdoor?

perlite going to be a mess after/during rains.... your vft traps will be full of it if it puddles

perlite is ewww imho for outdoor container bogs

A little nitpick: the Sarracenia looks potted a bit deep. You want the top of the rhizome exposed so sunlight can stimulate new growth.

Otherwise, looks good!

A little nitpick: the Sarracenia looks potted a bit deep. You want the top of the rhizome exposed so sunlight can stimulate new growth.

Otherwise, looks good!

I will second that. I'd also recommend raising the soil level to the top of the pot if possible. The sides of the pot will block sunlight from getting to plants growing near the edge. You'll probably need to pack it down a bit to make sure you get enough in there. It's going to get compacted anyway from watering and rain so that way you have more control.

perlite is ewww imho for outdoor container bogs

Perlite is ewwww in any situation however for some it's a necessity. You can always top dress to keep the perlite in place.

I will second that.

This is the way the books will tell you to plant. Practically, if left alone the plant will find its own level so it's not critical. Some Sarracenia are quite happy to have the rhizome several inches deep.

This is the way the books will tell you to plant. Practically, if left alone the plant will find its own level so it's not critical. Some Sarracenia are quite happy to have the rhizome several inches deep.
I certainly haven't read any books that recommend that, and I would think burying the plant would leave the plant more prone to fungal infection. It certainly can cause problems for new growth, since after the soil compacts due to watering and rain and grows moss, the new pitchers will have a hard time breaking through. I've had numerous pitchers pop up bent, or flower buds show up a month or two late because of this. I've also read some recent experiments by growers showing that providing more light to the growth points of Sarracenia leucophylla rhizomes will spur the plant into growing fall pitchers early.

I would topdress with LFS (long fibered sphagnum), also known as orchid moss.

I certainly haven't read any books that recommend that.

Of course you haven't. Most authors tend to just recycle the information the last one put out. I'm simply going by observation and experience which incidentally is a lot longer than most of the authors you would quote.

It's been around 24 hours and my Lowe's VFT is looking different. It's a slightly different shade of green and there is a new growth coming from the middle with a brownish red top. Is this a flower stalk?

34s3wpl.jpg

bis58l.jpg

Nope, that's another trap leaf. A flower stalk will be pointing straight up and have a little ball at the end.

Back