What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B52 vs dc xl

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Hey all, I was wondering, which is really bigger, b52 or dc xl? I don't own either cultivar, so I can't use my own experience. What's your experience? Thanks.

I believe that DC XL has the potential to produce larger traps, but the trap size is much less consistent than B52.

Under optimal conditions, there may be some slight -- I do mean slight -- difference in trap sizes. If I recall, the DCXL produced their largest leaves early during the growing season, while the B52 and "Ginormous" produced theirs in the late Summer or early Fall . . .

It also depends on your conditions, which plays a big role in both color and trap size. One person may get huge traps on either variety and another with different conditions not so big. As far as which produces the biggest traps, I have seen both DCXL and B52 plants grown side by side with not much difference in trap size between them.

Well it apears that it's a stalemate on trap size. What about petiole length? Based on the photos I've seen dc xl has longer petioles. Thanks.

Well it apears that it's a stalemate on trap size. What about petiole length? Based on the photos I've seen dc xl has longer petioles. Thanks.

The petiole length also varies and is seasonal -- more compact later in the season . . .

Ok, thanks.

I'm growing my first DCXL now. Sounds like it's more hype than reality?

Last edited:
DC XL produced the largest traps I've ever seen, and I've grown it fewer years than I have B52. So for me, it's larger, hands down. But B52 is slightly consistently larger, meaning that - on average - the traps are slightly larger than those of DC XL. But DC XL is hardier, grows faster and is more vigorous, at least for us in our northerly climate. I'd recommend DC XL over B52 for most people.

May your dc xl grow to rival Audrey II.

If you're looking for large traps don't forget Ginormous. I've got all 3 varieties and they all produce huge traps. I bought my Ginormous as a small plant and in 2 years it turned into a monster. But for some reason the traps this year are much smaller than last year. I did a fridge dormancy last winter on all my plants and I think it took a real toll on them.

Back