What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coquillage: all that it's cracked up to be?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
I have some extra money on hand and I thought of possibly getting a coquillage venus fly trap, but I have a few questions. First, how is coquillage pronounced? Second, do they grow those unique traps consistently? Thanks.

I have some extra money on hand and I thought of possibly getting a coquillage venus fly trap, but I have a few questions. [D]o they grow those unique traps consistently? Thanks.

Provided that the plant has been divided vegetatively and not further tissue-cultured, the traps are fairly consistent -- though some revert back to normal appearances down the line. Coquillage began as a TC mutation, some years back, and very few of those are truly consistent, over time . . .

Never seen a Coquillage make a "normal" trap, nor have I ever heard about it "reverting" to normalcy. And I didn't know that it originated as a TC mutation. The trait is quite genetic, as it readily produces offspring via seed that look very much like the parent plant.

Coquillage is one of my favorite flytraps. Very vigorous, flowers often and strongly, and produces a lot of seed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone if they enjoy the way it looks. They won't be disappointed. With a market full of different named flytraps, Coquillage is definitely one I'd recommend for anyone. And I have grown nearly all of the named flytraps to this point!

Excellent, I have just ordered one and hope to see it soon. Thanks for all the help.

good news, the vft arrived today and it's great, tiny, but great. One question though. The care sheet that came with it said not to soak it in water continuously, yet I have found that soaking them with the tray method works out quite well. What's your opinion? Thanks.

The care sheet that came with it said not to soak it in water continuously, yet I have found that soaking them with the tray method works out quite well. What's your opinion?

You do what ever works for your plants in your conditions.

The care sheet that came with it said not to soak it in water continuously, yet I have found that soaking them with the tray method works out quite well. What's your opinion? Thanks.
Flytraps grow best when their soil is damp, but not soaking wet for too long. We try to keep all of our thousands of flytraps growing in moist soil, but never sitting in water. They grow much more quickly and robustly that way.

Double tap.

Last edited:
Never seen a Coquillage make a "normal" trap, nor have I ever heard about it "reverting" to normalcy. And I didn't know that it originated as a TC mutation. The trait is quite genetic, as it readily produces offspring via seed that look very much like the parent plant.

Coquillage is one of my favorite flytraps. Very vigorous, flowers often and strongly, and produces a lot of seed. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone if they enjoy the way it looks. They won't be disappointed. With a market full of different named flytraps, Coquillage is definitely one I'd recommend for anyone. And I have grown nearly all of the named flytraps to this point!

I just got 3 Coquillage last week.

The person I got them from told me that "this cultivar is on the less hardy side".When I told him another grower( you actually:hail:) had said they were "extraordinarily hardy" he said "Well they may be hardy for Oregon, but in Utah they just haven't held up as well as the other plants."

They're small but look healthy.I'm not worried.:water:

Since I'm the one Boggyboy is quoting I'll chime in here. There are times when the plant looks great, but it and really all flytraps are a bit more finicky than people tend to admit. For instance in my conditions my coquillage plants didn't do well, they still grew, but where nowhere near on track with the other flytraps. I'm guessing it's an anomaly. And by no means do I say the cultivar isn't worth it or not what it's cracked up to be.

It just happened to not work out for me. Which happens with a plant or two, here or there :). Another consideration is an allocation of resources, I focus mainly in sundews, so if a flytrap is not doing well I don't have the time to give really any extra attention as they're not my niche. I'd rather it be housed with someone who can give it exceptional care.

Last edited:
David,

No hard feelings I hope.I didn't mean anything bad by it and wasn't calling you out in any way.:blush:

I thought your comment about growing in UT vs OR was funny so I shared it.As I said the plants are doing great.

David,

No hard feelings I hope.I didn't mean anything bad by it and wasn't calling you out in any way.:blush:

I thought your comment about growing in UT vs OR was funny so I shared it.As I said the plants are doing great.

:) No harm or offense taken, maybe I'm too stern with my explanations lol. Matt is a great grower regardless of the region. Good luck to everyone interested in this plant!

Back