What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT Correctly Potted?

After many years of not having any Venus Flytraps, I am attempting them again. I recently setup two plants, a B-52 and a DC XL. The DC XL came in bad shape and has been struggling (see the story and photos in this link: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/v...on-and-tips/140869-damaged-venus-flytrap.html ) but the B-52 arrived in wonderful shape.

I am using the same basic method that has worked with my other CPs (Neps, Sundews, Pings, Utrics) just with different media (peat and perlite) in a plastic pot with a saucer filled with water. Does it look like they are planted correctly? I just want to double check that I'm doing things right.

DC XL on the left, B-52 on the right:
full

DC XL, right side, this whole "bulb" was under the substrate before. Does the planting depth look correct for this recovering plant?
full

DC XL, front, I scooped out some mushy stuff from the center a few days ago.
full

DC XL, left side.
full

DC XL, top view, most of the middle is hollowed out, with one side open. I'm not sure if this plant will make it.
full

B-52, does the planting depth look correct?
full

Last edited:
Does your dcxl have any good roots on it, with the white tips? I think the depth will be okay for the second one, I always keep mine a tad bit higher out if the media, not much more though.

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

Does your dcxl have any good roots on it, with the white tips? I think the depth will be okay for the second one, I always keep mine a tad bit higher out if the media, not much more though.

I did not notice any white tipped roots on the DC XL, they didn't look that great to me, however I'm not sure what healthy VFT roots are supposed to look like. Here are photos:
full

full

What do you think?

Last edited:
Rhizome should be a few mm below the soil.

ef212f46c9f9d93c464301cd881f0932.jpg

Healthy roots black with the tips white

Sent from my SCH-I545PP using Tapatalk

It seems the B-52 is happy, check out the new leaves growing in:
full

I'm excited to start feeding this plant, as none of the other traps currently work.

The DC XL is still hanging in there . . . not dead, but not growing. I buried it a little deeper, any thoughts to help this plant?
Here it is on the right:
full

DC XL view from another side:
full

As for light, I have 2 bulbs on it, don't remember exactly what they are, I'll have to check later.

Last edited:
Back