What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Did harsh fridge dormancy damage my VFT's ?

Last year my B52's, Ginormous and G16's really took off. Everything growing huge multiple traps. Everything was grown out in my garden with sunlight from dawn till dusk. I put them into dormancy around November. Removing them from their pots and storing them in moist LFSM in tupperware containers stored in the bottom of my fridge. When I took them out of the fridge in early April they were in pretty bad shape.

I replanted everything and have grown them out in my garden again this year. In pretty much identical conditions as last year. But this year their just a shadow of what they were last year. Slow growing, with smaller less colorful traps.

Did the harsh winter conditions in my fridge damage and set my plants back this year ? I'm not going to be doing a fridge dormancy again ?

It could be that they were stored too long in the fridge or, were not properly put in to dormancy. You should try putting them into dormancy outside.

Harsh conditions in a fridge? Just what do you have your fridge set to? A normal fridge setting is 40F (4C) which is nowhere near harsh. 0F (-18C)could be regarded as harsh but the one winter we experienced that every one of my Dionaea came through.
It would appear that your technique was in error, not the temperature

For VFTs, I drain off excess water from the pots, hit them with a sulphur based fungicide and place in zip lock bags and pop them in the fridge for 3-4 months. Late winter around March I take them out and place in a south and west window until night time temps. Regularly stay above freezing then slowly acclimate them to full outdoor Sun. I've been doing this for about 9 years now.

Back