What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shadowtski

Supporter
Today I potted up a baby VFT "Akai Ryu".

I bought the parent plant from FlyTrapShop.com. It arrived on May 3rd. It started to send up a flower scape soon after it arrived. I cut the scape and tossed it in some live sphagnum on May 28th. On July 23rd, I saw several growth buds appear. Today it is sending down roots and the leaves are about a half inch long. This was my first attempt at VFT scape propagation. It has taken 3 months from start to finish. It was a fun and rewarding little project.

I plan to donate this little guy to the NASC auction next year. Hopefully he will grow to a respectable size by then.

Good growing,
Mike

How is the cutting doing?

How is the cutting doing?

It's doing great!
It's dormant right now but still looking very healthy. The leaves didn't turn black, just stopped growing.
Here are a few pictures taken this morning 01/01/2017.
I don't know if it will be large enough to donate for the 2017 NASC Auction. If not, there is always next year.

What do you think?

Good growing,
Mike

Akai%20Ryu%20Flower%20Cutting%20001.jpg

Akai%20Ryu%20Flower%20Cutting%20002.jpg

Looks good! See what it looks like come April and go from there :)

Here are some update photos of my Akai Ryu (which I grew from a scape cutting) baby and its parent plant. The parent is coming out of dormancy nicely. It's bigger than last year and sending up two flower scapes. I cut these to grow more baby plants.

But I think that the baby plant is too small to donate to this year's NASC auction. I can't imagine anyone bidding more than a dollar for it. So I'll let it grow another year and donate it to next year's auction.

But this project showed me that flower stalk cutting is a good way to propagate your named cultivars without disturbing them.

Thanks for looking.

Good growing,
Mike

Small DSC07144.jpg3/17/2017

Small DSC07136.jpg New traps and 2 scapes on parent plant

Small DSC07140.jpg Added Quarter to show size and cut off scapes for more propagating fun

Back