What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bohemian garnet question

• Thread starter osito
  • Start date
Looking to purchase one of these but wanted to know if they are successful insect catchers or if they had to be fed? Just noticed they are a short toothed variety and usually they aren't very good at catching food on there own.

I disagree with that statement.

I would argue that the short/stiff teeth varieties are better at catching insects.
Below is my most successful VFT. (Ill have to search its cultivar name again because I cant remember)
That one caught a multitude of spiders, moths, flies, and other insects that year, and even gave the sarracenias a run for their money.
Note the short, stubby teeth.

2ztczg0.jpg

Might have been a fluke with regards to that particular variety, Nem. I would imagine trap closure speed would play a critical role....

IT may have have something to do with the rigidity of the teeth.
I remember watching some documentary and they showed how the thin teeth can sometimes let prey slip by.
Rigidity would prevent this from happening.

All the VFTS seemed equally as fast anyways, but it could be a fluke like you said.
But man that plant caught alot of bugs.

my understanding is that the flexibility if the long teeth allows prey which is too large to escape.

Back