What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VFT on its last legs... is it too late??

I got a vft as a gift about a month ago. It was very sickly, and it progressively got worse no matter what I did to try and save it. Now its on its absolute last legs. Is there any way to save this poor little plant? I'd hate for it to die on me.

NOTE This picture is right before I watered it for the first time, after repotting it in more appropriate perlite/peat mix today. It isn't usually this dry. I just find it easier to pot plants in dry soil.
20187166_10211192200654266_19355501_o_by_carnationcrab1-dbgopyd.jpg

20180112_10211191961368284_103896210_o_by_carnationcrab1-dbgoqcq.jpg

Last edited:
The best thing to do is to keep it in stable conditions. Just keep it moist and sit on your hands for a month.

I'm not sure if the plant can be saved but it isn't a good idea to pot plants in dry soil because both peat moss and long-fibered sphagnum hold a lot of water and it is difficult to get them wet unless you really soak them.

It is more than possible to save this plant, but it would have done better if left where it was and if you had started with moist soil; as Tanukimo noted peat moss (not as much sphagnum if it's good quality) is very hydrophobic when dry and it needs to be prepped before use.

is that miracle grow that its planted in?

I echo the comments about the media being dry and it being quite difficult to get it wet when it is that dry. You need to put the whole pot in something deep and water it about 1/3 up the pot. Then later, increase that to 2/3 up the pot (you don't want the plant or media to float away). The last step would be to water it up to just under the media line and leave it there for a day or two, this should help get the peat to become wet. Then remove it from this setup and go to normal watering which is leaving it in a saucer where you add water about 1" deep, and water again once the saucer has been dry for about a day. The soil should never be as dry as it is in this photo... Do this, and keep the conditions right and that plant will either recover, or it will produce a bunch of little plants by acting as a bundle of leaf pulls.
Andrew

Back