What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More like Venus Moletrap!

• Thread starter Sashoke
  • Start date
So I planted this VFT in an empty pill bottle container out of laziness and have essentially neglected it for a year or so. Today I noticed a 2nd plant has grown completely under the soil because the clear container is letting enough light through for it to survive.

Thought this was bizarre enough to share, in the spring I will be repotting it into an appropriately sized pot that is not clear and the mole plant will hopefully be mature enough to separate at that time.

IwtsmmI.jpg

0TntjqM.jpg

6CLNK0D.jpg

I can't say I've ever seen a flytrap do that before. It's a common occurrence with a number of Drosera species and Utricularia, though.

By the title I had thought that it had caught a mole, yet this is almost equally impressive!:jester:

That's pretty funny. That bottle must have been outside for a long time to get the orange bleached out of it.

Interesting. I didn't know Dionaea could do that.

Around 2 years!

I think I saw that in it's original color somewhere in your picture thread. I did not know they would grow in such a small container either! maybe a root got too close to the edge and decided to divide via root branch.It would be pretty interesting once you re pot it to see if the deformed traps would work.

Pretty cool, ha.

I have had this happen with both flytrap and ceph plantlets from leaf pulls when I left them way too long in the clear shallow container they sprouted in. The ceph plantlet actually grew underneath the LFS against the bottom of the container, really weird. Mature flytraps naturally divide (form multiple bulbs) and when they do not have enough room to move up and grow above the soil they can often grow downward even when not exposed to light. Sarracenia that have outgrown their pot will do the same thing, sprout from the main rhizome and grow downward. Your little “mole” flytrap will do fine once put into more normal growing conditions, as my flytrap and ceph “moles” did.

Last edited:
Since it has never gotten a dormancy in 3 years I figured it was absolutely vital it got one this year, but I knew it wouldnt survive the winter in that tiny uninsulated pill jar so I made the tough decision to repot so late into the season. I got 6 independant divisions out of it and potted it up in a larger, more insulated pot. Hopefully they will be able to recover in time for dormancy, if not, oh well.

Also, there were three separate underground divisions, they all had their own roots, and yes, the traps did function!

YQELmah.jpg

Nice!

As long as the roots don’t freeze they should be fine through winter dormancy. If they are to be outside you might want to consider insulating the pot from freezing solid by putting it on the ground, covering the sides with bubble wrap or surrounding it with straw, and mulching the top with leaves or pine needles when temperatures are going to be below freezing for an extended period of time.

Yeah, I will likely wrap it in newspapers and leaves or something similar.

That should work. Keep us updated on how they do. A pot full of mature flytraps is an awesome sight!

Agreed! Maybe in a few years Ill have something like this:
d6zg9UJ.jpg

Yeah, that be it!

Or this:
2gv6jpx.jpg

Back