What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Underrated/Overrated Cultivars?

Just curious about some of the cultivars out there. Anyone have any input? Not trying to offend anyone here.

I'd say that any of the deformed flytrap cultivars that are mutated to the point of nonfunctioning just don't hold a lot of appeal to me. There are also just too many flytrap cultivars in general.

I personally like a lot of the mutants, provided they're ones that retain the trait stably (some of the 'Pom Pom'/'Cheerleader' esque cultivars only show the mutant leaves after dividing etc.), but there are a few like 'Rose' (completely devoid of traps) that really just aren't great, and of the probably now hundreds of red and green and other slight color mutation cultivars there are only a handful that really deserve titles; there were a few published in CPN about I think one or two years back that are nothing more than slightly more orange or yellow than normal, not eye-catching in any way.

Nonfunctional flytraps and anything with prominent ventricosa genes.

Last spring I won a cultivar called "Megatraps" in an auction and wasn't really expecting much from it. I have since altered my view on this one. It not only is a vigorous grower but it readily divides. Plants rapidly progress to producing 1"+ sized traps. I love it. I'd call it underrated.

Last edited:
Back