What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soils

• Thread starter hhdd4
  • Start date
Hi,

I would like to try growing a VFT. My question is where are the proper ingredients for the soil bought? What I read indicated I needed the following to grow VFT's. I went to hope depot and they looked at me like I was crazy. I guess they don't carry that stuff.

Silica Sand / Horticulture Sand
Organic Perlite
Natural Peat Moss 100% Pure

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I am kinda stuck until I get the right stuff. Also, what VFT would I have the most success with. I want to start out simple and then maybe try to grow more exotic varieties.

Hi,

I would like to try growing a VFT. My question is where are the proper ingredients for the soil bought? What I read indicated I needed the following to grow VFT's. I went to hope depot and they looked at me like I was crazy. I guess they don't carry that stuff.

Organic Perlite

Any help is GREATLY appreciated. I am kinda stuck until I get the right stuff. Also, what VFT would I have the most success with. I want to start out simple and then maybe try to grow more exotic varieties.

My go-to compost for flytraps is a 2:1 ratio of peat moss to coarse horticultural sand. I avoid perlite, since it is concentrated pure evil . . .

...I avoid perlite, since it is concentrated pure evil . . .

I am interested in hearing your thoughts about perlite, Big Bella, as I am always looking for more information on soil media. It simply is not possible to know too much about the subject.

I would add that I don't find the type of peat to be too critical, though you can rinse it if you are nervous about what you end up buying. As for sand, I do recommend that you rinse that well and use a coarser grain size of silica sand.

Home Depot always has peat. It comes in huge bales though, which is a bit overkill for a new grower. Unfortunately coarse sand is very difficult to find in some regions (like here in Oregon.)

As a new grower, you're probably better off buying a plant that's already potted so you don't have to worry about soil, or buying pre-mixed CP soil from a CP nursery.

I am interested in hearing your thoughts about perlite, Big Bella, as I am always looking for more information on soil media. It simply is not possible to know too much about the subject.
A lot of people don't like perlite because with the torrential rain that happens pretty much everywhere in the country but Oregon (or for people who top water,) it can liquefy the peat which will cause perlite to float to the top. Here, I strongly prefer perlite for outdoor plants because sand breaks the peat up too much, resulting in constant rain erosion.

Last edited:
Yeah, what Nimbulan said; that, and it is ugly . . .

You can buy soil ingredients for flytraps and other genera of carnivorous plants online here if you are having trouble finding it in your area:
https://www.flytrapshop.com/collect...t-pack/products/peat-perlite-and-coconut-husk

Avoid using Miracle-Gro brand peat moss and perlite because they add fertilizer to their products that will kill your carnivorous plants.

I have been using a 50/50 mix of peat/perlite for years for my flytraps and they do fine in that here in the Pacific Northwest, outside year-round.

Last edited:
Hi,

Organic Perlite

Why dont you just grow them in dried sphagnum moss? I grow all my vfts in it and they have no problems with it. I do not understand why people do not use them, its much cleaner and easier than peat. My only guess is since i live in the tropics, the warm temperature may help the dionaea thrive in the medium whilst cooler temperatures, the dionaea prefers peat.

Back