What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Healthy Traps!

• Thread starter MPX_78
  • Start date
I have had these VFT's for a month now, and they are looking pretty good. There is some healthy coloration on the new traps, and there's a bunch of new ones on the way. One plant is producing especially large traps, which have a beautiful red color.

zbnpeAjl.jpg

S7FTJDll.png

the same trap shortly after opening

OS5Z3Fhl.jpg

the family

Just thought I would share. I'm putting them through dormancy next year because I think they deserve a good growth season prior to their dormancy. Just thought I would share! Happy holidays! :bigthumpup:

(Edit: I am aware that the leaf attached to the big trap has discoloration. I think that this is due to a bit too much water and that it was formed while the plant was adjusting to the new light levels.)

Last edited:
Looking good. They look to be some pretty good sized flytraps there. I wish my was more conducive to flytraps here without needing a bog pot.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

Looking good. They look to be some pretty good sized flytraps there. I wish my was more conducive to flytraps here without needing a bog pot.

Sent from my VS500 using Tapatalk

It would be impossible for me to winter them outside. Chiberian (Chicago+ Siberia) winters are like a cryogenic freezer. Currently we are under a wind chill advisory, with -30 degree wind chill possible. Over the summer I think I will make a trip to Volo bog and take some pictures of the pitcher plants that live there. The upper Midwest is crazy season wise.
:bigthumpup:

I think it is always fun to have flytraps growing in winter and I love to see people growing them then.

For what it is worth - I winter my flytraps in my garage, while just keeping them moist, which is about 10 -15 degrees F. warmer than the out of doors so they don't usually hit freezing. I have used the refrigerator in the past but my collection is 'way too large for that anymore, ha!

I think it is always fun to have flytraps growing in winter and I love to see people growing them then.

For what it is worth - I winter my flytraps in my garage, while just keeping them moist, which is about 10 -15 degrees F. warmer than the out of doors so they don't usually hit freezing. I have used the refrigerator in the past but my collection is 'way too large for that anymore, ha!

Cool. Would it be a good idea to put a heating mat underneath one of the containers? I moved them into the basement since they were getting crowded.
uRPMhppl.jpg

while moving them, I also re-potted a few.
VhEQK4Ll.jpg

The heating mat I'm looking at has temperature control, but I don't know if they would enjoy warm roots.

Back