What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tough little flytraps

• Thread starter DJ57
  • Start date

DJ57

I am a CPaholic...
As their snow blanket melts away today the flytraps reappear. Seems they are determined to come out of dormancy despite the recent cold snap with temps dropping into the low 20's at night.

IMG_3386x1 Feb. 2018 by Djoni C, on Flickr

IMG_3390x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr

IMG_3385x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr

IMG_3389x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr

Note: The below-freezing temps have been overnight only, it warms up to above freezing during the day. Overnight temps have been low to mid 20’s (F), daytime temps have been mid 30’s to mid 40’s this past week and it looks like this pattern will continue into next week. These flytraps have spent their entire lives outside year round so are well acclimated to PNW winters (zone 8).

I'm not sure why I like seeing CPs in the snow so much, but thanks for sharing!
Is all the water in the tray from the snow melting, or were they sitting in water when the freeze came through?

I'm amazed your plants are coming out of dormancy already. I doubt I'm going to see life on mine anytime soon, despite the warm weather prior to this storm.

I'm not sure why I like seeing CPs in the snow so much, but thanks for sharing!
Is all the water in the tray from the snow melting, or were they sitting in water when the freeze came through?

We like seeing CP’s in snow because it is just cool (no pun intended), ha.

The water you see in the tray is mostly snow melt and rain we had off and on between snow showers. I normally leave my dormant flytraps out of water trays in winter when we are getting enough rain to keep the soil hydrated, the small pots would drown in the trays otherwise because I am too lazy to dump the water out of them often, but we had a long enough dry spell a short time ago so I put them back in trays with about ¼” of water. They do fine sitting in frozen water though as long as the ice block is less than halfway up the pot and it does not stay frozen 24/7 for extended periods.

I'm amazed your plants are coming out of dormancy already. I doubt I'm going to see life on mine anytime soon, despite the warm weather prior to this storm.

I know right? I was very surprised to see them waking up myself and only noticed it when out taking snow pics the last few days. I can’t really say if my flytraps are waking up earlier this year than past years because I usually ignore them until the sarrs start sending up flower stalks, and most of my sarrs are still pretty much dormant at the moment.

Your giving me courage to leave mine out tonight with lows of 31 forecast. I just set them out on Saturday. High tomorrow supposed to be in the low 50's.

Back