What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rare Mutation

• Thread starter rcrob
  • Start date
My VFT appears to be growing a trap from one of the flower stalks. Some info on the plant-It is a $5 Walmart vft. I’ve had it for about a year and it’s sprouting flowers for the first time. The other flowers on the plant all appear to be normal. Has anybody ever seen this before. Is this just a rare mutation? Any info or knowledge would be greatly appreciated thanks so much.
57f64b0e285f4b20f9de10f8d163e0c3.jpg
0d2e1dc047127bb7ee3d92cb8b825429.jpg
7248b2eb4769be8199e6767f7d9125d5.jpg
011cefbe8f232582260b7493bbb68322.jpg
d190e9fcf3d677d5015158faa61707f5.jpg

Last edited:
Hi! I've never seen this on my plants, but it sometimes occured on my friends plants, specially on cluster trap clone. In italian is known as "apomissi floreale" (even if this not botanically the right term), and i don't know if floreal apomissis is the right word in english.

This is a fairly common thing to happen. Flowers are formed from modified leaves so occasionally you'll get a plant that fails to produce flowers and makes regular leaves instead on a flower stalk. If you feel like it, that can be separated and rooted.

Hi! I've never seen this on my plants, but it sometimes occured on my friends plants, specially on cluster trap clone. In italian is known as "apomissi floreale" (even if this not botanically the right term), and i don't know if floreal apomissis is the right word in english.
In English, it's called "false vivipary".

Back